I need some help

Tom Baugues

I bought new countertop for our kitchen. It is a laminate top. I custom ordered it to fit. Our old one had one round corner so I ordered the new one with the same 6" radius corner. They told me several times to make sure of the radius size because if it came in wrong it could not be returned. I had a 6 " round circle piece of cardboard I use out in the shop and it matched my old countertop perfectly.
So tonight I tore out the sink and old countertop. Brought the first section in and it looks great. Then brought in the section with the round corner and there is no way this is a 6" radius. I'm just sick. I placed a couple straight edges on it for reference and took a photo. Is this my fault? This radius looks to be about 14-15 inches.
Last photo was my old top.
100_1023 (Small).JPG100_1024 (Small).JPG100_1025 (Small).JPGcountertop (Small).jpg

...I had a 6 " round circle piece of cardboard I use out in the shop and it matched my old countertop perfectly...

I hate to tell you this, but a 6" circle has a 3" radius. I'll bet the new countertop will fit a 12" circle (a 6" radius).

Can the corner of the cabinet be rounded to fit and re-stained??

tom take and make a circle on paper or cardboard with a pencil and string that is using a 6" radius which is half the diameter of a circle then compare the curve you have and the paper one you made. let us see how it compares to your counter top..

Sorry to hear that!

I've fabricated a LOT of counter tops and when I saw 6" radius, I knew something was wrong. That's a huge radius for a counter top. I hope they can do something for you.

Well, feeling pretty stupid right now. I'm going to have to just take this one on the chin. What really sucks is now I have no kitchen sink either untill this is done. We are also scheduled to host Thanksgiving here for our family this year. I'm not in a good place here.

Well, feeling pretty stupid right now. I'm going to have to just take this one on the chin. What really sucks is now I have no kitchen sink either untill this is done. We are also scheduled to host Thanksgiving here for our family this year. I'm not in a good place here.

Don't worry Tom, just take care of it and be done, just step in my kitchen and I will give you a full laundry list of "DANG" you should still have time to adjust:)

Sorry to hear that!

I've fabricated a LOT of counter tops and when I saw 6" radius, I knew something was wrong. That's a huge radius for a counter top. I hope they can do something for you.

John, can you tell me what the most common radius size is for a corner that sticks out like that. My old countertop had a 6" diamater or (3" radius) corner. The new countertop has to bend the end cap around and it just looks weird. Should I go with a 3" or smaller maybe?????? I have read that 1" is too small and the end cap may crack???

Oh man sorry to hear it, I've certainly done worse.

Maybe take a piece of 3/4" plywood and cut the sink cutout into it so you can get "back in operation" temporarily if the replacement is going to take to long?

All the laminate counters I've done were all 3" radius. That was about the tightest you could reliably bend G.P. laminate with out having to form it with a heat gun. Oh and laminte comes in three thicknesses, general purpose or G.P. which is thickest, vertical which is the thinnest and post form which is between the other two in thickness.

John, can you tell me what the most common radius size is for a corner that sticks out like that. My old countertop had a 6" diamater or (3" radius) corner. The new countertop has to bend the end cap around and it just looks weird. Should I go with a 3" or smaller maybe?????? I have read that 1" is too small and the end cap may crack???

I've never seen a rounded corner with that style of counter edge. I'd probably eliminate the rounded corner and end it with a 90* about 1/2" past the end of the cabinet. May look better with a smaller radius, but didn't care for the larger look myself.

Ok, got new top ordered. 3" radius this time. The lady that ordered it for me the first time was there again tonight....she remembered me. When I told her about my issue she just smiled and said...."I wondered about that".
Paid for a new section....time to just move on....lesson learned. :(