A Dickens of a Christmas

Tom Baugues

My local town started doing this thing a few years ago each Christmas time where they turn the downtown streets into a Christmas themed live action play. The local arts and theater groups have actors act out scenes from a Dickens Christmas village.
I recieved a phone call today from a lady from the local chamber of commerce. She had been told of me and my street organ and thought that I might fit in with the program and would like to have me on a street corner cranking out Christmas music on the organ.
This sounds like fun so I said that I would be happy to do it. I've not had the organ out in real cold weather before so I'm not real sure what to expect as far as that goes. I may have to condition it to the cold in my garage before I go in case the wooden pipes need retuned.
I have two rolls of Christmas music I can play on it or about 14 different songs. I think it's the first weekend in December.
I'm currently looking all over for a long black wool overcoat to go along with the tophat to "look the part". Hope it's not too cold. LOL

Sounds like great fun. Congrats, Tom. So, I'm curious, how do you get to your pipes to re-tune once they are all installed. You have to take the front and back panels off, I suppose.? I'm waiting for the day I can take mine outside on the deck, point it at my neighbors and let them have it. They well love it. Maybe they well invite me to play it at their winery when they have a tasting event.

Jay, that has indeed been the case. In fact I have not re-tuned my organ since the inital set up of the organ. If it is off any I sure can not tell. I've been meaning to check it with my meter to ensure it is spot on though.

Leads me to wonder, what woods are better for staying in tune than others. NO matter , I'm not going to change mine, but might be interesting information if there is another build someday. I would assume harder woods would stay in tune better, but not sure why I assume that. May be just the opposite. After learning all I have and am learning building my first, seem a waste not to build another someday.