Cutting blanks on Bandsaw - 220v wiring help / question ?

Dan Mosley

Its been awhile since I have had a chance to do anyting with my lathe or wood projects. Today I was off and decided to cut up some blanks for finials and vessels. I have a old Davis & Wells bandsaw with a very old 1hp 220v GE motor on it but it always worked (slowly) up until today. Turned it on and it ran for a few moments, smoked a bit and stopped running. So I decided to put another motor I have laying around (new) thats a 1 1/2hp 220 on it in its place. It went rather well with just some minor modifications to the junction boxes and bolting - then off to get a belt for it and thought I had the problem resolved. I plugged it in and turned it on and it fired up very nicely but it ran in reverse.
Question : below are pictures of the wiring that i did - actually just copying what i thought was already there - Can someone tell me what wires to put with what wires to make this run correctly ? Thanks - im no electrician obviously.......:eek:

Attachments

• Wire-1.jpg
    Wire-1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Wire-2.jpg
    Wire-2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Wire-3.jpg
    Wire-3.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Wire-4.jpg
    Wire-4.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 31
Dan,
In your second pic, there's what looks like a wiring schematic on the motor plate, just above the wiring box. Take a close look at that. Most 240v~ motors that are reversable have a wiring diagram somewhere on them. It's usually either on the data plate, or sometimes, on the underside of the wiring box cover.

So I'm guessing hanging the saw upside down from the ceiling is out of the question? :D

Jim's right...there should be a diagram somewhere on the motor. If it doesn't make sense to you, post a pic of it and someone here should be able to help decipher it with you.

Also, am I the only one who's noticed that right about the time Dan in Minnesota shuts down his shop for winter, Dan in Palm Springs fires his back up? Coincidence? I think not. Ever notice how you never see both of them in a room together? Something just seems hinkey to me. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Ok let me see if this would help to answer where i went wrong

Attachments

• DSCN0217[1] (600 x 450).jpg
    DSCN0217[1] (600 x 450).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN0218[1] (600 x 450).jpg
    DSCN0218[1] (600 x 450).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 38
So...using your second picture; for 240v~ operation:

Jumper T8 (red), T2 (white) and T3 (orange) together.

Connect one input leg to T1 (blue) and T5 (black).

Connect the other input leg to T4 (yellow).

Your motor should now run. If it's turning the wrong direction, stitch T5 (black) and T8 (red).

Addendum: Forgot to mention the neutral/ground wire in your power cord. For 240v~, you don't need it/them, but for safety's sake, connect it to the motor's case. There's likely a green post or screw that's already there for it.

Last edited:
Jim...Thanks - wire switch as you suggested cured the problem.........Replacing the old 1hp 220 GE with a new 1 1/2hp 220 is not a big step up but I had the motor and it fit on the platform with minor modifications and a couple trips to and from Autozone for a belt that would work. Cut up a bucket full of small mesquite wood chucks for the grill and smoke cooking - still fun to cut them up on that big ole Davis and Wells.

Vaughn is right - Im starting back up my woodturning after a time off that I take each yr about the same time - to much heat and humidity to call it fun. But now im out in the garage trying to get things fixed and running well. Ive been off for a couple days and spending time cleaning Chucks-bandsaw issues-air tools-cutting up finial blanks-cutting up pen blanks for others (I do not do pens but small blanks are easy to ship to others)-sharpening tools-chain saw maint. etc -. Tomm is Hollowing tool maint day - have to get my monster rig together - then I have my large hollowing rig to get ready - then ill be about set I think - Slow going but im getting there. Next step will be the hunt for wood to turn.....lol