Can I do a wood gloat?

Chuck Ellis

A few months ago the preacher at my wife's church (I guess mine too since I go wherever she does) dropped off a few logs at my shop... I did an urn and a couple of "hurricane" lamps from some of the wood... the wood was gorgeous... spalted hackberry. I had an offer from a guy at the local art show I did this past weekend of a couple of pecan logs... so I went to pick them up yesterday and since I was half way to his house, called the Reverand and asked if he had any more of the Hackberry.... he did and said come on and get it... this is what I got.... the raw wood looks like it's not much good, but when you cut it open, it's nicely spalted and will turn some nice bowls... Misc. 088.jpg

These are the pieces I cut from the original... the new stuff isn't quiet so spalted and doesn't have the grey and green colors, but still beautiful wood. 22-1528_01.jpg22-1527_1.jpg45-1525_3.JPG

I get lucky and fall into that sort of thing once in awhile, Chuck. But not nearly as often as when I lived in Ohio! That Hackberry is beautiful! And Pecan looks good when it spalts too!

Thanks guys... always makes you feel good when your contemporaries admire and praise your work.

I got most of the hackberry split... it's pretty... here's a few pieces... Misc. 096.jpgMisc. 097.jpgMisc. 103.jpgMisc. 095.jpg

My wife took the pictures... I think she got more excited than I did when I started opening the logs up... I'll work up most of this into bowl blanks over the next few days, some will be pepper mills and maybe a few hollow forms and a couple more of the lamps.

Chuck now that looks good. That's a super gloat from where i sit.:thumb::thumb: Where do ya get them lamp kits if you don't mind me asking. I can see me doing a few of them. Great job by the way on all.

They're not really a kit... I use the ultra-pur oil candles from Hobby lobby and any lamp globe I can find... usually find them at local flea markets or goodwill stores... I cut a little stand into the top of the lamp for the oil candle... sink it to whatever depth you like, I usually go down so the top of the lamp is about even with the shoulder of the oil candle, then cut another groove along side the candle for the globe... I try to go deep enough so the bulb of the globe rests on the top of the wood so it doesn't rock... not much to them at all.