maple logs ready to mill!

I got the maple logs dropped off this afternoon. It's a beast! The big one is 30" by 9'. IMAG0616.jpgIMAG0615.jpgIMAG0618.jpgI'll have to do a little surgery on it because it's showing a little metal in the bottom.IMAG0617.jpg He also brought a baby it's only 4' by 30"IMAG0619.jpg I'm planning on getting it on the mill tomorrow and get ready to slice and dice'er.

Looks good -- tells us how you are going to mill it? width and thickness -- or and cut it up for bowls? What are you going to use to mill it. When my health improves I will bandsaw some walnut logs that I have stacked up by my mill... I wish a had a few maple logs and cherry - so I am jealous of you logs...

He want's mostly 4/4 stuff, and a few 2x too. I haven't decided of the width yet. The log has a little heart rot on one end. I guess I'll decide on the width when I cut it open. I got it on the bed this afternoon. I'm going to try and get it cut tomorrow afternoon. My daughter wants to go deer hunting in the morning. She talks a big game until she has to roll out of bed before daylight!:D

Here you go Larry.:D

The first pic is of the dreaded black stain of death! Death for saw blades that is.black stain.jpg I ended up having to cut about 16 inched off the end to avoid the metal that I eventually found.

This one is the opening cut where you generally have an idea of what you've got. To quote Phil from Duck Dynasty, I was happy, happy, happy!log.jpg

The next three don't do what was there justice! It had some crazy curly and birdseye/burl through out the log. curl.jpgcurl burl (1).jpgcurl burl (2).jpg

This one is showing what could be a 17" wide board.curl burl (3).jpg

He also dropped off a "smaller" log that was only 38" long. Here's a pic of a slab from that little jewel! small slab.jpg

Alas, all wasn't cotton candy and kittens! I heard the distinctive zip sound of metal in the little log and trashed a blade.:( That's the chances you take with yard logs. It had a nail dead center and about half way through.

I had some other pics I wanted to get but the dang battery on the phone went dead. I hope you all enjoy. It was a great day to be outside enjoying what the good Lord created.

Here's the last picture of the stack that it produced. It finished up right at 300 bd/ft. He's supposed to come pick it up tomorrow.
stack.jpg

Last edited:
i hope you snagged a few of those john:) or at least laid dibbs on some in the future.. i hope i can get half of what you showed us in the one i got to cut soon:)

It is some sweet maple Larry! I wish the pictures would show what was really there. This is probably the nicest log I've cut. I'm going to see about snagging a couple of boards.

Ryan, I do use a metal detector. That's what saved me on the big log. For some reason it didn't pick up on the smaller log.