Shop Made Pulls

glenn bradley

I'm waiting on some materials to come in and so, during the lull, I thought I'd get a jump on some pulls I'll need for a project coming up. I had some mahogany that went wacky on me while building a dresser for a client awhile back so I tossed it in the scrap bin. As these pulls will only be 4" long I was able to put this otherwise goofy stock to some use. I cut the blanks to exact length but leave enough room on the sides for smoothing and enough meat out front to mill the profile out of.

Shop Made Pulls kitchen (1).jpg . Shop Made Pulls kitchen (2).jpg . Shop Made Pulls kitchen (3).jpg

I drill the holes for the threaded inserts, then without changing the setup, I use the drill press to hand turn the inserts into position. I then run the cove profile on the router table and use a circle jig to help put a consistent arc across the front. They end up as shown prior to finish sanding.

Shop Made Pulls kitchen (4).jpg . Shop Made Pulls kitchen (5).jpg

I imagine they will end up a dark brown but, will wait till the piece is pretty well assembled before I commit. They are for a kitchen hutch (for me again this time :)) and it will be made from pecan. The color spectrum can run from maple-white through cherry-red so I don't want to commit to the pull's color till I get the doors framed up, at least.

You have a much better brain than I do for this creative way of making such... those are super looking and I like them much better than the average hardware buy.. on another topic -- don't understand your avatar! kind of ugly :rolleyes:

Nice pulls there Glenn, of course with the way you would make anything that uses them the item would need little effort to pull it open. In my case i gotta have space to get my hand in and yank the whole thing being pulled out. :) Hope that changes soon. :D

I hope there isn't a fine for questionable use of a coping sled:

Shop Made Pulls kitchen (12).jpg . Shop Made Pulls kitchen (13).jpg

Or a circle jig:

Shop Made Pulls kitchen (16).jpg . Shop Made Pulls kitchen (17).jpg

Like they say; whatever works ;).