Plane Project

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
My local Woodcraft gives customers a gift card worth 15% of your purchase when buying wood over $100. I've bought a little wood in the past few months, so I had several gift cards I've been holding on to waiting for just the right deal. This was it.

This shoulder plane was priced at $90, but had been moved to the 'discount' shelf and marked at 30% off. Just so happens I had a little over $60 in gift cards, so when the tax was added and the smoke settled the total cost out of pocket was $.83. :woohoo:

I hope to get started on it in a week or two. Always wanted a shoulder plane, just could never justify the cost. We'll see how well it goes.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/#

Attachments

• plane 1.jpg
    plane 1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 43
  • plane 2.jpg
    plane 2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 39
Forgive me, I know very little about planes, although I love trying to use one, but $93 and you have to put it together? Couldn't a person just make one from scratch. I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, I really would like to know. I know I am showing my ignorance, sorry.

Congrats, on your deal though, no matter the original price you certainly got a deal!

Last edited:
Forgive me, I know very little about planes, although I love trying to use one, but $93 and you have to put it together? Couldn't a person just make one from scratch. I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, I really would like to know. I know I am showing my ignorance, sorry.

Congrats, on your deal though, no matter the original price you certainly got a deal!

Paul, the one I had my eye on was from Leigh Valley and sells for over $250. Pricey little bugger. You are right - I probably could have made one myself, but I'm not at all familiar with plane construction and might wind up will a totally unsatisfactory tool. Hock's stuff is very good and has his many years of experience behind it. not to mention his excellent irons. As the cost was very low I figured this would be a good introduction to plane construction for me and have a high likelihood of yielding a usable tool.

I find this hobby holds a wide variety of interests, and I find building a plane kit no different from someone else wanting to build a walnut master bedroom set.

Its what holds your interest and offers you the most satisfying experience.

(at least thats what this whole woodworking experience is for me)

looks interesting rennie, but I wouldnt be suprised if your next plane you design and build from scratch.

I made one of the Hock plane kits before. I can say that the steel is excellent, the wood choice is great, and it's a very fun project.