Set of Stanley Gage Planes.....?

Stuart Ablett

My buddy Alex found these on Yahoo Auction here....

9tvsM.jpg

marbx.jpg

rKkDq.jpg

I have not seen these Stanley planes before, but from looking around the web, they look like >> Stanley Gage Planes << prewar I guess.

Right now they are on auction for 39,000 yen, which is about $480 US, they are local, so shipping should not be a lot of money.

Here is the translated description the seller gives......

====================================
# 3 220mmx55mm, 44mm blade width 
Peel of paint, rust, there is a fix scratches, dirt, the tote.

# 4 230mmx61mm, 50mm blade width
Peel of paint, rust, there is a fix scratches, dirt, the tote.

# 5 355mmx61mm, 50mm blade width
Peel some of the paint, rust, cracks and knobs fix scratches, dirt, the tote. 

# 6 455mmx68mm, 56mm blade width
Peel some of the paint, rust, cracks and knobs fix scratches, dirt, the tote.

# 7 560mmx75mm, 63mm blade width
Peel of paint, there is a fix rust, scratches, dirt, the tote. Holes are drilled in the rear of the base.
====================================

Two questions;
Are they worth getting to resell in the US?
Are they worth adding to the collection?
If I were to obtain them, would I be stuck with the original blades, or could I upgrade to a modern blade?

Just curious is all.

Cheers!

A nice set of Stanley Gage planes. #G3, #G4, #G5, #G6, and #G7.

Walter's "Guide" (Last published in 1995) puts their value, in average condition (which those appear to be) at $100 ~ 150. Resale value on planes seem to be a bit down right now, so they'd likely go more towards the low end.

BTW, when the seller says 'there is a fix' I assume he means to the tote, not soldering or welding on the metal.

As for new blades, I don't know of a source, but an email to Ron Hock would likely answer your question. The original blades are pretty good steel, though. The blades on the 4 & 5 look like they've been sharpened a lot and are a lot shorter than the others. Still have a lot of use left in them, though.

I have a G3 and a G4 - both with original blades - and they work quite well.

I'd say they're not worth trying to resell in North America, mainly because shipping would be expensive, and the plane's condition isn't that great, but they'd certainly be a nice addition to your collection, as well as being very nice users.

Thanks for the info Jim.

I think I'll pass, the only planes I don't have from that set are the No3 and the No6 both of which I see little use for, the No3 is so very close in size to the No4, why bother and the No6 has always struck me as kind of an orphan between a real No7 jointer and a No5 Jack :dunno:

If I cannot fix my No7 to my satisfaction, I'll buy either a new LN No7 or a good used Bedrock No7.

Cheers!

Here is a link to Walt's Brass City Records website, where he shows a disassembled plane with all its components. I also had to research about gage planes, as it was new to me. Sounds like a very nice setup for a plane. I wonder how a replacement blade would work with them though.