Floating Shelves

Bob Spare

Questions.
Want to build floating shelves with brackets hidden.
These shelfs would be mounted for display with items for sale on the shelf.

Now lets say the customer wanted just the shelf. So the shelf would be removed.

Maybe some of the shelves would be 8"-12" wide x maybe 2-3" thick x 18-24" long.

Would use a keyhole system, say with 3 keyholes into a 2x4 should provide enough support yet quick and removable for a quick sale??????????:thumb:

Any better ideas

:huh: :huh: :huh:

I did that once - used a couple of 1/4" steel rods - drilled into the wall studs and into the shelf about half way - worked fine but I found that there was a gap between the shelf and the wall after awhile, I guess due to vibration - but I just pushed it back and it never fell off. I considered a cleat on the back of the shelf and one on the wall but my shelf was less than 1 1/2" thick so I thought it might not hold the weight - but I suspect the keyhole idea would work also - and it would be easy to test - then if you don't like it, try my idea.
Ray

Last edited:
I did that once - used a couple of 1/4" steel rods - drilled into the wall studs and into the shelf about half way - worked fine but I found that there was a gap between the shelf and the wall after awhile, I guess due to vibration - but I just pushed it back and it never fell off. if you don't like it, try my idea.
Ray

Been researching.

In answer to the other poster about French Cleats,
that idea was ruled out as it could slip out from weight.

Another idea was company sells item $12.00 similar to what you mentioned Ray.
Purchasing that rules out that idea. The cost of the shelf for retail would be cost prohibitive.

One suggestion I got was a dove tail idea.
Where one would make a cleat mounted to the wall
and slide the shelf (dove tail on shelf) thru the cleat.

Thanks guys for the input.

Bob, I think your dove tail or the French cleat that Jeff and I had suggest warrant testing - how will it hold the weight? Gotta try it to see. A metal keyhole may also work, one on each end - perhaps better than a machine made keyhole into the wood.

I think the shelf you are presenting will look strong because of its thickness and thus encourage putting a lot of weight on it

The one problem with a dove tail system is that an uneven wall may distort the the wall mounted portion and prevent sliding the dove tail.