sketchup free version ? pro version?

now I have a new problem.

when i first started practicing and applying color to things, when i would go to the paint icon I could click on crayons and would see a box of crayons and also could select sliders to adjust the colors to get the correct color.

for some reason now when I select the paint bucket and hit crayons I only get squares of color and the option to select the sliders to adjust the color is gone.

Assuming I explained the problem correctly, how do I get it back the way it used to be?

You're working on a Mac, aren't you?

At the top of the Materials browser there are a series of icons. The left-most one is a color wheel and the right-most one is a brick. Click on the the one to the left of the brick to get the crayons to display if that's how you want to select colors.

You're working on a Mac, aren't you?

At the top of the Materials browser there are a series of icons. The left-most one is a color wheel and the right-most one is a brick. Click on the the one to the left of the brick to get the crayons to display if that's how you want to select colors.

Yes. its a mac. what is the materials browser? All I have is a paint bucket and a color wheel (I just added it to the tool bar but didn't help) I keep looking ut can't figure out what you mean. I also lost the option for the large tool bar that makes the pull down menue on the left side and now only have customize tool bar.

Ok. I found the large tool set under view so that problem is solved

Last edited:
When you click on the Paint Bucket icon you should get the Materials Browser displayed. You can also get it from the Window menu. If you select it from either location and it doesn't show at all, go to the SketchUp menu (to the left of File) and click on Preferences. Then click on Workspace and then Reset Workspace.

When you click on the Paint Bucket icon you should get the Materials Browser displayed. You can also get it from the Window menu. If you select it from either location and it doesn't show at all, go to the SketchUp menu (to the left of File) and click on Preferences. Then click on Workspace and then Reset Workspace.

BINGO
I also just figured out that there is a bubble on the paint menu that will hide/unhide the the brick ,crayons and sliders. Its the bubble on the far right and for some reason closes that little menu.

thanks again.

OK
I'm just full of questions today. I wanted to attach what i have done so far to a post but when i choose it from the select files, after it loads it only shows a ? in the box and not my sketch.
Do I need to save it in a certain format or something?

I saw your file upload attempt but when I tried to download it, I got a message that it was an invalid file type. I thought the forum was setup to allow SKP files to be uploaded but maybe not. You can do a File>Export>2D... and create a JPG or PNG file which you can upload. It's not the same as letting us have the SKP file but it will let us see what you've drawn.

fireplace mock 2d.jpg

this is the sketchup I have done and it illustrates the current fireplace and hearth. Off course its not the same stone but what we have is about this ugly and will be replaced.

it takes up the entire wall. right now, on the left side, we have a tv stand and flat screen tv.

My plan is to create built in cabinets on either side but at slight angles so they go from the front left or right corner and angle in to the fire place edge. the wife wants a mantel but I wanted the tv to be over the fire place so I was going to design the built ins to have mantles on them that are 20" or 22" from the ceiling and then cabinet doors beneath that and some drawers closer to the bottom.

doing this sketchup was pretty simple. Now onto the more complicated task of designing the built ins. right now there is much debate about the idea I have because SHE likes having a traditional fireplace with a mantel on it but hates the two giant caverns on each side of the fire place. (If the sketch was in 3d you would see what I mean. its a bad design).

I also hate the spaces on each side but want a larger 70" (or bigger) tv and that will only work if the tv goes in the center. So I need to plan it out right to make HER happy so it doesn't ruin her childhood dream of having a fire place mantel. One of maybe 10,000 childhood dreams I have to deal with (OK, I'm probably exaggerating there and she'll be made when she reads that haha)

And once again dave. thanks. I saw that 2d export but it didn't click as to what it meant till i read your post.

Good start. So it looks like you've made a screen shot instead of doing a 2D export and you have drawn the model so it runs down below the ground plane. The dotted blue line is the negative Z-axis. I'm guessing you are finding that orbiting is more difficult than it ought to be.

Good start. So it looks like you've made a screen shot instead of doing a 2D export and you have drawn the model so it runs down below the ground plane. The dotted blue line is the negative Z-axis. I'm guessing you are finding that orbiting is more difficult than it ought to be.

I hit FILE then export and 2d graphic. thats how i got it here. I went into the negative axis because I wasn't really paying attention to where I started. Guess I didnt think it would matter with what I am doing. will it?
pan and orbit seem simple enough. I gave up on the axis tool right away and have not tried to figure it out since. I think I am going to need it though.

[quot]Guess I didn't think it would matter with what I am doing. will it?[/quote]

Yes. It will. Especially if you want to use the standard views. It would also make navigating in SketchUp easier if you draw things right way up. But I guess that's up to you.

When I have ended up with objects in the negative blue axis, I do a 'Select All', make it a component, grab the corner closest to and below the convergence of axes and move it to the convergence point. Then, explode the component to return to individual objects.

(I hope I said that right.)

Bill, I think you said right but you could just skip the parts about making a component and exploding it. Just drag a selection box around the stuff you want to move and move it.

Keith, you'll save yourself a lot of grief if you draw your model such that the front is parallel to the red axis and the model extends behind it along the solid green. keep it going up in the direction of the solid blue.

When I have ended up with objects in the negative blue axis, I do a 'Select All', make it a component, grab the corner closest to and below the convergence of axes and move it to the convergence point. Then, explode the component to return to individual objects.

(I hope I said that right.)

Dave beats me to the punch again :). I use a similar method but just make the items a 'group', move them and then 'explode'. Pretty much the same effect and quite handy for when I wander off course :rolleyes:. As Dave said; if I am only going to move things once, I just group select (select from left-to-right to select items within the bounding box and from right-to-left to select any item the bounding box touches).

Last edited:
I moved it to the proper place. I have not been able to practice any yesterday or today. All my spare time has been eaten up. I should get back to it tomorrow. I left off practicing making furniture. I'm going to hit daves videos he linked to in this thread.