Made a trammel

Roger Tulk

We had some 5/8" ply left over from putting up a shed, so the memsahib asked me to cut the largest circles I could get out of them. I figured the easiest way to do this would be with the cheap (29.95) spinsaw I bought at Canadian Tire last year, but the trammel will only do a 12" circle, and I needed 22½".

So, I got to work, went down to the local HD and bought a narrow aluminum metre stick and a couple of flat head ¼-20 screws and nuts. Then I cut the ruler off at 18½" so I could cut a 36" circle (or 90cm. if necessary)

04 The start.jpg

Then I drilled a couple of ¼" holes to match the existing trammel, which connect to the base of the spinsaw, countersunk the holes,

06 The handle.jpg

and put the whole thing together, drilled a hole big enough for a #8 screw, and put it into use.

07 In use.jpg08The setup.jpg

It works excellently, is much lighter than my router, and I can use it over and over again. I might look for a ¼" blade, as I broke two 1/8" ones cutting out four disks.

Nope. Each one is getting three 8" legs, and they will stand in the centre of some of the church's round tables, draped with cloth, and covered with hors d'oeuvres. We are having a reception in December to celebrate my son's wedding in BC in September, as so many people from here couldn't go to BC.