Looking - Disk Sanders for Segmented Turning

Mike Jory

I've been admiring segmented pens and small bowls for quit some time. I just received a book on segmented turning. Apparently, one can't go very far unless the parts are extremly accurate. So...

I'm shopping for a combo belt-disk sander. I found a "new" (they claim) Jet 6" belt / 9" disk on Craig's List for around $275.

I'm wondering, to those that have a combo disk/belt unit, can you educate me on what to look for, and can you make any recomendations.

Thanks, as always I look forward to all comments.\
Mike

Hi Mike,

I purchased a Jet 1 HP 12" disc sander a couple of weeks ago. The 12" disc sander is all that I wanted it to be. I sanded a 12" square of end grain lyptus wood (it was a cutting board) perfectly flat in about 10 minutes. (the wood is VERY hard) I had previously used a belt sander with the same grit for an hour and it wasn't anywhere near flat. It has an adjustable table with two miter grooves. Sander weighs in at a 100 pounds and is very stable.

I already have a Jet 10-20 drum sander. If I was going to purchase just one type, I would definately get the 12" disc sander. Sandpaper is much cheaper to replace also. Malcom Tibbets has a really nice jig for the sander in his segmented turning book. I am making one this weekend.

Hope this helps. :)
P.S. Sander is currently $339 w/free shipping on Amazon.

I'd think you can get more accurate surfaces with a 12" disk than a 9" disk/6" belt model. If you're mainly interested in the disk, I'd suggest going Robert's route and getting a 12 incher.

The Jet that Robert pointed to is a nice high-end machine, and there are others (for less than half the price) that are also pretty servicable.

Robert, Vaughn;

Thanks for the suggestion. I now have "tool-gotta-have-itis." :D

A 12" disk certainly seems a more suited to a lot of tasks than a smaller disk.
In my shopping, I see that Jet makes a combo 12" disk/6" belt unit with a little bigger motor, on a stand.
Robert and Vaughn, everyone who owns a disk sander; with a 12" disk, is there any advantage to also having another 90 degree flat surface on a belt?

I thought I might afford the disk only unit until I saw this one. For nearly a thousand dollars it should pour the coffee and butter my toast.
I'm going to move this thread from Woodturning to the New Tools section.
Thanks, Mike

Mike....One of our local PBS stations started broadcasting a show "Woodturning Workshop" with Tim Yoder hosting it. He showed a novel way of doing that yesterday. He mounted a piece of not OSB but particle board to his lathe using a faceplate. Turned it round. Then using spray on adhesive ..put adhesive on the OSB and sand paper.....You now have a sander. If you lathe is variable speed...You have a VS sander. An idea to consider.

I was able to pick up a good deal on a used Delta 12" disk/6x48" belt 6-7 years ago. I use the disc a lot, but haven't used the belt all that much. One thing to keep in mind is that you really only get half the disc diam (the downward turning side) to work with. While you can put full 12" wide stock against the disc, the upward spinning side makes it a bit tough to control, so you're primarily getting a 6" sanding capability. For the size stuff you're going to do, a smaller disc might be OK, but it's something to consider.