Fruit on the ground

Paul Gallian

In Memoriam
Fruit from Osage Orange, Bois D'Arc, hedge, hedge apple and my grandmother call them Coffee Cake and a few other names. On the ground not my yard but near - on the way out of the valley we live in. Thought some my find it interesting.

Hedge apple.jpg

Those sell 2 for a buck at the local grocery stores...:eek: People say they keep bugs out of your basement?? I know quite a few friends that use them for target practice.

Paul, Great pic BTW! :thumb:

They are pretty neat. There are a few around here that the settlers brought in, but not nearly as many as you'd have over there. They also tend to be one solo old tree instead of a grove. I'm betting when they're in clumps like that you could get a few straighter pieces for bow making easier :D

I grew up in Kansas and they were planted there to stop the dust bowl. In the area I grew up they planted rows to mark off the mile lines and each section of land some section are even planted at the half mile line to dived the section in to 1/4 section (160 acres) for property lines

So it is edible fruit? I brought home a piece of osage orange from my brother's house in Philadelphia. I was going to make it into a hiking stick, but it split right through. I see the French name for it means "Bow Wood" so I guess it is a popular wood for bow-making?

Had a hedge windbreak around the house back in Indiana. We used some of the extras for firewood. Burned well and made a lot of heat, but would spark quite a bit.

Interesting stuff to buck and split.

It has two things going for it (just my opinion) when fresh cut it turns easy and it is beautiful --- Orange turning to brown when exposed to light.

the other as Tom said burns hot and long not much ash left.

Last edited: