please dont laugh at my ignorance, quick question

allen levine

now that I finally purchased a drill chuck for the lathe, when using a fortsner bit in the tail stock, do I run the piece(mounted with nova chuck on the headstock) Im drilling into at the same speed as I would use on the drill press?(same bit)

As slow as possible Allen. I drill pen blanks at 150 some times. On the 1014 I can only go to 500. on the 1642 I can do 20 if I feel like it. Slower is better. What are you going to drill?

Im getting to the old peppermills from woodcraft, need to drill 1 inch holes, also will be making some vases, not hollowing, just drilling out to hold a few stems. some candle holders.

Ok...I should have asked this up front...my bad, but what kind of lathe do tou have? Belt change, VS, Reeves drive? That will determine a lot.
You're going to drill 3 holes in a mill...usually!! Base opening, grinder mount opening and the center holding chamber...1-5/8(?), 1-1/4(?) and 1-1/16(?) I think are the main sizes for the big mills. The 1-1/16" is the longest hole...drill from both sides!!

if allen is making the same pepper mills that bernie and i did, he will need only a one inch forstner bit, with extension. if you are going to drill an inset, you will need a two inch forstner bit as well. if you do that, drill the inset first, then use the indent in the center as a guide. personally, i prefer drilling the one inch hole on the drill press.

Same speed is fine. Anything over 1" with a Forstner I would go with your slowest setting. Make sure the Forstner is sharp and back out to clear chips frequently. If doing fancy figured wood or burls, back out very-very frequently, like every 1/8" to clear and allow cooling of the wood. Otherwise you will be sweeping up your hoped-for project.

frank, I wouldnt put any fancy wood on my lathe until I have a clue what Im doing.
I saved up a bunch of mahogany blocks, some walnut pieces, and a few others to use until I understand and get close to what I want.

thanx for the responses.

Ok...so the 1220VS isn't a Reeves drive so I'd drill at 150...sure won't hurt. Like Frank said...push and pull 1/8"-1/4" at a time should give you good results.

I usually run my lathe somewhere between 300 and 500 when drilling with a Forstner bit.

By the way, we'd never laugh at someone's ignorance here. Point and snicker a little, yes. Laugh, no. :D