trettle lathe

Nice job!

Can you post a picture from the treadle side? Pretty sure I know how you have that put together, but curious to see anyway :D

Do you have an wracking of of the ways without any diagonal support?

I'm guessing for a long piece you'd need two people, one to treadle and the other to turn :D

Cool!! A treadle lathe is always my next project. Something always get pushed higher on the priority list. I have a treadle mechanism from a Singer sewing machine that I hope to utilize; but the output would work best if I were a left handed turner. Some day, I will work out the details.

Dennis, I have been working on one my self for a few years on and off. I have the bed made as well as the head stocks and tool rest. As it's light weight I built it out of ply. The drive is being driven off of the wheel to a shaft that runs below the bed. It is housed in two pillow bearings. It then drives out past the head stock to drive the live end. It works to that point. I am stumped as to how to drive the stock. I have looked at many ideas but none have been implemented. And there I stand. It is fairly light weight but it will spin the live end real fast. It is something I would like to get finished.

Kevin, thanks for joining and pictures of your lathe you built. Like the design along the rails and legs.

Dennis, I have been working on one my self for a few years on and off. I have the bed made as well as the head stocks and tool rest. As it's light weight I built it out of ply. The drive is being driven off of the wheel to a shaft that runs below the bed. It is housed in two pillow bearings. It then drives out past the head stock to drive the live end. It works to that point. I am stumped as to how to drive the stock. I have looked at many ideas but none have been implemented. And there I stand. It is fairly light weight but it will spin the live end real fast. It is something I would like to get finished.

Kevin, thanks for joining and pictures of your lathe you built. Like the design along the rails and legs.

That is what I had figured to move to the power to the proper end, I haven't decided if I would add a second flywheel. The one for the sewing machine may be a bit light for a lathe. I have a 1912 Singer Sewing Machine in the shop and an 1880's New Rogers treadle scroll saw that still needs a bit of work to be fully functional.

I'm really getting into this hand and foot powered stuff.

the small pulley slipped on the drive rope when i first started but i soon learned a little contact spray on the rope (belt) made all the difference.