One seriously packed shop

Karl Brogger

This is one job. And the largest I've ever done.
A little fuzzy on the details, but from memory:
The job is all inset.
90%+ painted, the remainder being Walnut, with one very small Maple butcher block in the kitchen.
84 Drawers, solid birch dovetailed drawers. Blum 562H slides.
88 Drawer Fronts, a bit less than 2/3rd's of which are five piece fronts.
7 Roll out trays, (mine are dovetailed)
2 Trash Roll Outs.
89 doors, flat panel, ogee sticking.
I think there's 42 boxes, I'm not sure on total footage.
There's at least a dozen wood tops.
PLUS! I had the monotony of making over 200 cedar brackets for under the eves, (I've got a bunch more to do next week for the detached garage). I don't know the architectural name for the part sadly.:(

My little shop, is cramped to begin with, the last couple of days as the last few boxes were being built, it was really tough to size doors/drawer fronts to the openings. Made for some long walks to edge sander for things that were in the far corners having to walk around everything.

Plus the shop is a flippin' mess. I hate a dirty shop. I sweep up almost every day, but haven't been able to do a thorough blowing out with the leaf blower in a few weeks, and that typically happens at least once a week. I like there to be little to no evidence other than the results of wood being cut.

3916_4489069876074_1349586157_n.jpg

From this point it is 55' to the overhead door!
381732_4489071276109_22893588_n.jpg

395094_4489067356011_1373211463_n.jpg

21734_4489067716020_242654714_n.jpg

306020_4489068556041_1846799263_n.jpg

Last edited:
Man, what a workout. Karl, it amazes me the quantity of consistent and beautiful fixtures you turn out. Thanks, as always, for sharing your work.

Looks like that panel saw is paying for itself nicely. Keeping you busy, too. :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pics to see Karl it good to see shops that are busy and you sure make a good job of justifying that Streiberg purchase. I bet u have it paid back in no time.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I'll get pics up as soon as I can of the installed product. There will be some cool things in this one that I really hadn't done before. The island is one of the most attractive I think I've ever done. I'm curious what its going to look like when its all done. Its getting turned legs, (I'm not making them, my lathe is down), out away from the boxwork and a skirt board of sort connecting it all. Trying to make it look more furniture-ish. Right now just the box sitting in the shop looks quite nice.

Do you finish them in your shop? It looks like you make your boxes first.

I don't do any finishing. Hire it all out. Adds a bit of pain in the rear, but its still cheaper than paying another $10k a year for finishing space, and paying someone to do it. My finisher is awesome too. Expensive, but awesome. I always tell my customers you can take the nicest piece of whatever, ever built, but if the finish sucks it won't look very good.

I usually do boxes after the bulk of the other stuff is done. Doors, drawer fronts, and drawers are built.

This job is getting finished on site after installation. Like I said, most of it is getting painted, they use an oil based paint and brush it all on. The brush strokes look really nice, are done well, and kinda make it look older.