Boy, did Santa come!

Hi,

I was frustrated quite a bit. I was trying to make a purchase from Best Buy on-line. I went through the entire procedure but could not find a way to make the purchase. It took all of my data, including credit card number, date, etc., but there was no way to actually buy it. So I gave up and called Best Buy. They have seven options, from which you choose one to suit what you want to do. THERE IS NO OPTION TO MAKE A PURCHASE.

After messing around for awhile, I finally got a guy who said that he could take an order; I gather it was not his regular thing to do there. His English was so poor that I kept saying, "Please repeat that." I explained that I was the problem because of my poor hearing. By the time we got to the end (I think it took 5 minutes for him to get my credit card info recorded.) all of the units had been sold (It WAS a good deal.). So we fiddled around and I purchased something similar and $32 more expensive.

While I was on the telephone trying to order the Flat Bed Scanner from Best Buy the doorbell rang. I yelled for Myrna to answer it.
Later I found out that there was a great big, Grizzly, box left on the front porch by UPS. Myrna said that she could not move it. I figured it was a large scroll saw and table. The box was as almost as big as the porch when it was laid down with the up arrows pointing up. There was no room to maneuver. We got in each other’s way. If we were younger that could have led to a frisky adventure. Anyway we decided to open the box where it was. The porch is covered and it was raining. We really did not want to get stuck half way from the porch to the garage and get what ever it was wet.

Inside the box were 2,931,422 quarter inch diameter, Styrofoam balls. We know, because we counted them as we kept spilling them out of the box into the wind. I got out the big Ridgid shop vacuum and started sucking like mad. What was left was 70 pounds of wood disguised as red goop.

There was neither note, nor anything else inside to identify the sender. Finally in tiny print on the outside it said it was from Paul Gallian. But my Sherlock Holmes sense told me that the package was from our wonderful FWW Ambassador, Larry Merlau.

This was a great event. I mean that it isn’t every day someone receives a hunk of wood that weighs as much as they do. That big crotch of wood may be covered in red goo, but it is way too heavy to be pine or pine’s cousins...This is WOOD.

About a month ago Larry and I had a discussion about Chocolate Walnut so my Sherlock Holmes brain is saying, “I love chocolate, especially if it is wood.” So I am betting the farm that it is chocolate walnut. It is about two-feet wide and approximately 19 inches tall. A person should be able to make some real nice firewood out of something like that.

I’m so tickled that I can hardly stand it!!! Pic attached to rile up your jealousy.

Enjoy,

JimBIMG_1276.jpg

Last edited:
Yes Larry is one to blame "from my farm and cutting of Walnut." It was a bear to package -- UPS finally accepted it the way it was packed before the grizzly box it was more like a bean bag and was 4 pounds more than the USPS would accept.. I was about to give up and take my chainsaw to it again!! The red stuff is anchorseal about 1 1/2 ago you could get the red stuff - showed up better on lumber. then they changed formulation and I do not know if the red stuff is still available. So Larry asked and I did my best. 74Lbs took my wife and myself to get to UPS pickup point. I really hope you like it. I will NOT ship that big again.. The largest box from USPS i will do so people may ask.

BLAME LARRY,BLAME LARRY,BLAME LARRY,BLAME LARRY,BLAME LARRY,BLAME LARRY,BLAME LARRY,BLAME LARRY,BLAME LARRY,BLAME LARRY,BLAME LARRY,:rofl:

Man oh man, that's a sweet piece of chocolate. Congrats Jim, and very well done, Paul. :clap:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Momentarily off topic: Ted, I had never thought about it. However, I have never seen a piece of coal burn. I think I saw a piece of coal when I was in grade school.

Paul, That was one TOUGH box. I think you could ship a locomotive in a container made of that laminated, do I dare say, cardboard. I'll bet you worked up a good sweat. I'm going to have to work real hard and put my brain to maximum use. That piece of wood is more advanced than I am. I love a challenge.

I am definitely going to Enjoy. I hope you do too.

JimB

But Santa doesn't come until...Oh, never mind! :D That's a great lump of wood, hope you have fun with it. Asit is, it makes me think of a man stuck upside down in a hole in a table, with his legs cut off, but that's just me. :p

We used to heat our houses with coal in England. About 20 years ago my kids and I picked up coal on the shores of Lake Huron (flotsam from the days of coal fired steamers) and burned it on the campfire at night. The kids were fascinated that they could burn rocks, and the smell took me right back to my childhood.

But Santa doesn't come until...Oh, never mind! :D That's a great lump of wood, hope you have fun with it. Asit is, it makes me think of a man stuck upside down in a hole in a table, with his legs cut off, but that's just me. :p

We used to heat our houses with coal in England. About 20 years ago my kids and I picked up coal on the shores of Lake Huron (flotsam from the days of coal fired steamers) and burned it on the campfire at night. The kids were fascinated that they could burn rocks, and the smell took me right back to my childhood.

Roger, a million years ago I did a symbolic painting of an arm and hand being thrust up out of the water. My concept was the person reaching out from the muck of earth for Heaven.

My wife saw it and wondered why I painted this poor soul drowning.

Let's just say that I did not enter it in any art shows.

Enjoy,

JimB

The boxes that I tried to use to ship-did not work - but my purchase of a drill press from Grizz came in handy box and foam both cut to fit.. -- enjoy.

Thanks goodness. Now dad has an excuse to buy a bigger lathe :rofl:.

American Beauty _3qt_300.jpg

Of course, the laundry area will have to move outside to make room.