Calling Dave Richards.....Paging Dave Richards......

Dave,Here's my first Sketchup project. This is a lumber storage rack that will be attached to the plywood walls in one corner of my shop.lumber storage rack.jpgThe software wouldn't allow me to upload a DAE file.....

Lumber storage rack2a.dae.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent start, Ken.

As to your DAE file, are you referring to the forum software? I believe you can upload the SKP file (the file generated when you save the SketchUp model) instead. If you'd rather you could send me the SKP file by e-mail, too.

And you don't need to make screenshots to get images to post. Just go to File>Export>2D... And choose either PNG or JPG as the file type.

Nothing to do with SkethcUp but, I would make accommodation for a little airflow on that bottom level if it is going to contact the ground/floor. I also found the need to slide my material out length-wise really hindered my ability to pick through stock for what I was after. Just food for thought. The variations and requirements for lumber storage are as varied as we are :).

We can try the telephone. No guarrantees about my ability to hear you on the telephone. My hearing ability on the phone varies by the natural pitch of persons voice and my hearing on a given day. When would you like to do it? I would need about 10 minutes before I could do it.

hey ken i think the go to meetings are loud enough fo you to hear.. if you ant to try that sometime,, just need a mic and puter camera with some good speakers or head sets

Ken,

I am REALLY with Glenn about pulling wood out lengthwise.

A 4 x 8 sheet of 3/4 has a lot of drag when you try to pull it out. In addition to that the sheets on each side have been tilted away from the desired sheet so you can pull it out. Well that old man gravity wants to push down on those sheets and the only way they can go is sideways so that their bottoms are now acting as a vise on the bottom of your desired sheet.

The two sheets, one on each side of the desired sheet, tend to work together at the bottom when the desired sheet is being removed. So now you didn't like that sheet and you want to put it back (or put in a new sheet). Well, the gap is now narrower than it was before you started this process, and you are going to have to try to jiggle those sheets apart a bit at the bottom and keep them there while you insert the third sheet between them. Glenn and I know that is a two people process. It is not fun. It is doable but not fun.

I built an A-Frame to lay the sheet goods against. 52 inches above that and up were cross pieces to hold the lumber. That worked fairly well. My objection was that the piece of plywood I wanted was behind the three sheets of temperboard and two MDFs or the 2 x 10 I wanted was under a couple 2 x 6s and a 2 x 8.

Molding, and whatever long pieces I was working with on the current project were stored inside of the two legs of the "A."

The pics are during wood rack construction. The third pic was my old, quite useful, cutoff box.

Any questions---PM me.

Enjoy,

JimB

By the way, I have not found any method of wood storage that makes me happy. The A-Frame held a lot of wood, was accessible from both sides (one side faced a garage door. I opened the door to get wood from that side.). Currently I am using horizontal bars projecting from a wall for lumber. Glenn and I built a leaning wall of 2 x 4s from a rafter to the floor for storage of sheet goods.

Attachments

• Cutoffs in Woodshed 2.jpg
    Cutoffs in Woodshed 2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Storage-Lumber 1.jpg
    Storage-Lumber 1.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Storage-Lumber 2.jpg
    Storage-Lumber 2.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Dave,

Here's my 2nd finished product using Sketchup. Fairly simple.I made a small parts sled for my tablesaw. I wanted to put an adjustable stop block on the rear fence. So I designed this to be used by installing t-track and associated knobs.The stop block worked great and I am sold on Sketchup. I actually used Sketchup quicker than I could have drawn it up. As a former draftsman, I am pretty critical about my drawings. I have made my own drawings and used them for submission to the local building code office for permit approval.

stop block.jpg

View attachment stop block.skp

Last edited:
Very good, Ken. That's the way it should go.

Only one question for you. What do the two 2-11/16" dimensions indicate?

Now, you should draw up your sled and make this stop a component which you can add to the sled model. Then, if you have some complex part to cut, you can "try" it first in the SketchUp model. ;)

So I designed this to be used by installing t-track and associated knobs.The stop block worked great and I am sold on Sketchup. I actually used Sketchup quicker than I could have drawn it up

Isn't it great when you hit that "ah-ha" moment of understanding? I was ready to walk away from Sketch Up as I kept struggling and getting poor results. I just couldn't get my head around how to control my drawing within the 3D space. Dave counseled me over the phone and I learned more in 20 minutes than I had learned up to that point. It wasn't that the tutorials were bad (although there are plenty out there that are). They just assumed a level of understanding that did not exist for me. Once Dave got me past the fundamentals that everyone seems to skip, Eureka!

Capture.jpg

Very good, Ken. That's the way it should go.

Only one question for you. What do the two 2-11/16" dimensions indicate?

Now, you should draw up your sled and make this stop a component which you can add to the sled model. Then, if you have some complex part to cut, you can "try" it first in the SketchUp model. ;)

Dave,

I put in the two 2 11/16" measurements just to give me some perspective. I was trying to determine how far apart the 2 knobs that attached the stop block to the rear fence should be. I finally settled on a 4" distance and drilled multiple holes 2" apart in the rear fence to the left side and right side of the blade slot. By drilling holes for the knobs on each side of the blade slot, the stop block became "ambidextrous". I needed a minimum distance to use this on the crosses I am working on for my friend. I wanted to be able to cut both pieces for the cross by simply sliding the stop block to the next position as determined by a sample/gauge.

Last edited:
I see. Very good. Keep up the good work.

Glenn, I'm glad I was able to get you over that hump and on your way. That looks like a very nice cabinet. You keep up the good work, too.