Putting it in perspective

Jeff Horton

Decided I better think about where I was going to put this bandsaw I am looking at. So I created it in Sketchup based on the old catalog info and some educated guessing. While not exactly to scale it's foot print and height are right. So that gave me some clue as to what I would be dealing with.

I went to put it in the shop layout and took out the 14" bandsaw I have now when I noticed something. So I put them side by side. :eek: Wow! Now this put's it in perspective!

bandsaws.jpg

I know that if you can keep them both, you will be better served, I would suggest keeping a thin blade on the little fella there, and bigger blades on the jolly giant behind. I know that with well set up giant, you can do just about everything the little guy will do, but I'm thinking more of down time, swapping blades and such.

Just my two cents worth! :wave:

Keeping the Grizzly had crossed my mind but not thought about it much. What I kept thinking about was that I didn't pay that much for it. Even if it is a Chiwanese saw it is a darn good saw. The main thing is I wouldn't be able to get much for it if I sold it. Maybe $200? Thats been eating at me.

You guys kind of back up what I was thinking and I may just put a scrolling blade on it. (I have one on the wall) Put it on a mobile base and stick it in the corner with the scroll saw. Just roll it out when I need it.

BTW reading American WWM catalog. This 30" saw was their smallest and they only recommended it for light work and said this was the smallest size bandsaw that was practical! :D

Jeff
Still taken back at the size of this saw

[size=+1]Definitely keep 'em both! It's one of the best shop decisions I've made. I was going to sell the 14" Chiwanese when I got my Laguna, but nobody wanted to give me anything for it, so I decided to just keep it. It lives over in the corner of the shop, with a 3/16" blade pretty much permanently installed on it, and it actually sees a lot of use.

The Laguna gets all the big stuff, of course, and some of the smaller stuff, too, but the little 14" (no riser, BTW) sees nearly all the more 'delicate' work.

Having the two of them makes for a very convenient setup.

YMMV...but I doubt it![/size]

Yep, keep'm both, keep a larger blade on the big one for resawing and such and a 1/4" or so on the 14" for the scroll work and light stuff. Bandsaws are great, but changing blades and tuning them up for a new blade size is a PITA. I keep a 3/4"X3 on the 16" Walker Tuner, a 3/8"X10 on the 14" and a 3/16X14 on the little 10" Delta/Rockwell 28-100. Really, no, really!, I didn't plan on 3 BS, they just appeared like strays and need a home:D

Mike

I would go for both as well. I have an old Delta 3 wheel 16" throat but bench top BS. and a floor model 14" Ridgid. I find myself often making cuts with one, then the other, depending on the radius of the cut etc. Rather than swap out a blade just for a few passes. I'm not as upscale as you but as long as there is room for housing both, keep both. IMHO:)

At this point I only have the 14" bandsaw, but when the time comes for a bigger one, the 14 incher is staying with me. If you've got the room, you'll not regret keeping the small one.

Vaughn, I have been fooling around with the floor plan and that big saw is a monster! Didn't realize just how big it was. I do have the space in the shop for it. Just trying to decide where is the best place for it and still have room for the long stock on the machines around it. The 14" is easy to find a place. Mobile base and it just tucks out of the way somewhere.

Seriously thinking I need to build base for the big saw if I get it. Not that I would be moving it around all the time. But if it needed to be moved it sure would be good to be a wheels!