Found something interesting today.

Tom Baugues

I have a couple vacations days to get used up so I took the day off today. I went down to a local warehouse in town that has a constant "garage sale". The man that owns it is a retired local business man that has done very well and is always "giving back" to the community. He maintains this warehouse and all the money that it brings in goes to the Boys/Girls Club. The warehouse has everything from a-z. He buys up "stuff" from other local business's that are going out of business and TONS of stuff that is donated to him. Most all of it is very used stuff. I bought several wall cabinets and a DVD player there when I was putting in my shop. I found a hand plane once.
Anyway today I was walking around there and noticed that he had a bunch of very old photography studio odds and ends. Lots of old chemicals and photographic paper. Anyway, in with all of this I found these boxes of 35mm rolls of film strips that teach woodworking skills. They are from the 1960. They were meant to be used by schools in their shop classes.
The rolls have such titles as "Hardwood Processing" and "Wood Finishing" and "How to Use the Backsaw and the Dovetail Saw". Two boxes were from the Stanley Tool Company and one box was from the McGraw-Hill Book Company. I found them to be an interesting part of history so I bought them. I will probably never view them (although I did hold one up to a window and look at it). I just thought it was something that should be preserved. I have a small camera collection and they will go on a shelf with them. There may be thousands of them out there for all I know. :dunno: But I have these.
I also found a like new Hoya 77mm Circular polarizer (worth about $50.00) for my cameras and a nice blade set for a Stanley hand plane.
What you do there is take your items to the front and ask how much they want. The owner was there today so I talked to him. He looked at my items and asked me if $4.00 was too much. I handed him a $10.00 bill and said thank you.
Here are a few photos.
IMG_0015 (Small).jpgIMG_0019 (Small).jpgIMG_0022.jpgIMG_0024 (Small).jpgIMG_0025 (Small).jpgIMG_0026 (Small).jpg

Moderators...feel free to move this if needed.....it is both off topic and woodworking related. So?????????

Last edited:
Very cool find, Tom. :thumb: I'd be tempted to find some way to scan the images so they could be viewed on a computer.

I remember film strips in school fondly. As soon as the lights went down in the room, you could hear all the boys tearing pieces of notebook paper to make spitwads. :whistling: :D

Is this what you need to view those? Be cool to add to your collection:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUKANE-FILM...298?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cca771fba

I like you camera collection. I have a few. The one I like the most is one my Mom gave me years ago. It an old box camera, given to her by the Kodak company when she was a little girl. They gave one to people that applied for them one year when the persons birthday fell on Kodak's anniversary date. I don't know what year it was. Very special to my Mom because she was very poor when she was raised.

Attachments

• IMG_1150.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 22
Paul, that is probably is the type of film viewer needed.

I have a few box cameras like in your photo, however mine are all black in color. I have not seen a brown one before. Very nice!

Last edited:
Those film strips are great! I remember those from when I was younger. We were "high tech" they came with a cassette tape that was the dialog for the story. When the narrator would reach the end of his monolog you would here the "beep" which was the cue to flip the strip to the next scene. This is like the projector they always used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-J350H4zf8

Last edited:
Those film strips are great! I remember those from when I was younger. We were "high tech" they came with a cassette tape that was the dialog for the story. When the narrator would reach the end of his monolog you would here the "beep" which was the cue to flip the strip to the next scene. This is like the projector they always used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-J350H4zf8

We had the "new and improved" version that would auto advance by the audio tape when I started teaching.:rofl:

Ike

We had the "new and improved" version that would auto advance by the audio tape when I started teaching.:rofl:

Ike

Isn't progress wonderful!!! Trazillions of tiny steps got us where we are, from where we were. The step that really impressed me the most was, Myrna's mother came West in a covered wagon, she went back in a 707. Just think of the number of "steps" that lady saw.

I enjoyed the nostalgia.

Enjoy,

JimB