Simple oak change bowl

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
I had "bigger" plans for this piece of wood, but the cracks that I had to turn out to get to stable wood had other ideas so here's how it ended up.
IMG_1454.JPG

The dogs are disappointed its not edible.
IMG_1455.JPG

Ryan,

If the wooden floor were darker, I would say you took that pic in our house between the tile and Myrna's office. Oh, no dogs as in pic 2.

No matter how you got there; it is a neat bowl. I'll bet it gets used a lot.

My very first bowl stays on the staircase on the 8th step up. It captures things like earrings and watches after going out. Later in the day they get carried on up to their proper home. It IS a very well used small bowl.

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
If the wooden floor were darker, I would say you took that pic in our house between the tile and Myrna's office. Oh, no dogs as in pic 2.

Jim,

That's actually laminate (AC4 grade which is roughly what you'd use in a shopping mall) I put in a few years back. The only think that really gives it away is that there is an occasional repeated pattern and the edges have the annoying trim over top instead of flush trim.

The bowl is just a bit over 6" across - I have big hands. I'm planning on giving it back to the guy whos firewood pile I stole it out of :D

Nicely done, Ryan. Oak's not one of my favorite woods to turn...you did a nice job with this piece. :thumb:

And I think the dogs aren't bummed because the bowl is inedible, it's because it's empty. :D

Nicely done, Ryan. Oak's not one of my favorite woods to turn...you did a nice job with this piece. :thumb:

And I think the dogs aren't bummed because the bowl is inedible, it's because it's empty. :D

At my weekly market, I set up two of my display stands at the corner of my booth... it has 5 single shelves that each holds one bowl... the bottom shelf is just inches off the ground and usually has a large bowl on it... at the market everyone brings their dogs and they all stop to look in the bowls to see if there's anything in them... it's fun to watch them check out the bowls.

Last edited: