help, help, help

allen levine

oh man, i thought these things run forever.
I was at my bandsaw just now, cutting out more of stus reindeers, and I started noticing a funky smell.
something like rubber burning so I immediately shut everything off.
I checked all around, didnt see anything burning, felt everything.
Went into the house, checked the circuit breaker board, felt it, nothing was hot.
Went back out turned on the bandsaw, dust collector, all of the sudden the saw dust from the bandsaw was hitting me in face, what happenned to my dust collector, and at that exact moment, I noticed the dust collector was shut down, and smoke was coming out between the switch box and motor.
I have a delta 50-760, 4 years old, Id say heavy use.

now Im stuck. Im the least mechanically inclined person on earth, and Im not 100% sure if I want to replace the motor or just get a cyclone at this point.

The switch box was smoking hot, and my garage is filled with smoke, smells like a fire, but its more rubber burning/electrical smell.

what should I do? replace motor or just go with new unit?

where is best price for motor?

I just called my wife to contact the electrician who did my 220 wiring here, and alot of wiring at my old store.
Im going to ask him to take a look at the motor and switch, and see if its an inexpensive repair.
I just looked at ereplacement parts, the motor is 600.00 bucks?:eek:
Id rather order a new cyclone if thats the case.

Allen look in your area for an electric motor repair shop, they will be able to sell you a replacement motor for your D/C a lot cheaper than the $600.00 bucks you talked about. worth a shot unless you want a cyclone, and it sounds like you want a new toy :rofl:

Yeah, that $600 price tag sounds WAY too high. Heck, you can buy the whole DC new for less than that. Your electrician buddy should be able to steer you in the right direction. Once you know the REAL cost to repair it, you can make an informed decision on whether to get the cyclone. ;)

You've probably already unplugged the DC you could also open the switch box. I am wondering if there is some dust inside??? It may be that your switch will need to be replaced.

there was alot of dust inside, and all the dust was burning. Not good.
seems like there was a small fire in there, everything seems toasted.

The electrician said he doesnt know much about dust collectors, but he will make it over here monday or tuesday and check out to see if the motor is ok, which I think it might be, the smoke was coming from the switch box attached to it.
Im hoping he can rewire a new switch for me.

I always like new toys charles, but if its an inexpensive repair, lets say under 100 or 150, Id be fine keeping this dust collector.(Im going to have to pay the electrician, but he wont charge me more than 35 or 40 bucks if its just some rewiring, but Ill have to get the parts)

Was the dc still running?

I had the same thing happened on my Delta years ago... The run capacitor fried and caught on fire.

Scary as hell. Motor was fine, just got new caps for it and it's been fine ever aince

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

yeah, brent, thats what Im thinking. I was looking inside the switch box, and it looks like that happenned.
but after I started noticing dust all over the place, the DC had already shut down and there was smoke all over.
where did you order the capacitors from?
this little piece burned or melted off from somewhere.

Im hoping he can fix it for me in a timely fashion.

I finished up the 16 reindeer my daughter needs for her class, had to use my trend, pine is murder with the bandsaw.
If I need to make more, Im going to rig up something from my shop vac and let it run as a DC with the saw.
Just too much dust for me in that small garage.

Attachments

• kitchen reface 221 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen reface 221 (Medium).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 87
  • kitchen reface 222 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen reface 222 (Medium).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
That looks like OOZE from the right of the top cap?

Would certainly validate Brents theory.

BTW: if you don't know what you are doing in there I would STOP now. It appears that there may be two capacitors (although its hard to tell with the carbon stains). Capacitors can hold a vicious amount of power in them and I would really hate to read about how one discharged on you (or WORSE onto you :eek:). Old TV's have a similar problem and I don't dig around in them either (anymore... :doh:)

Yup, definitely looks like mine when it blew.

There are 2 caps, and iirc, a run and a start. I'm out of pocket right now, but I think this was a fairly common knowledge issue with the Delta dcs.

I think if you goggles Delta dust collector capacitor you will find some helpful info

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

That looks like OOZE from the right of the top cap?

Would certainly validate Brents theory.

BTW: if you don't know what you are doing in there I would STOP now. It appears that there may be two capacitors (although its hard to tell with the carbon stains). Capacitors can hold a vicious amount of power in them and I would really hate to read about how one discharged on you (or WORSE onto you :eek:). Old TV's have a similar problem and I don't dig around in them either (anymore... :doh:)

I took the screw off the switch box cover, thats as far as I go.

Well, you definitely let the smoke out of that one. :eek:

I took the screw off the switch box cover, thats as far as I go.

Good plan. As Ryan said, capacitors can still hold a strong shock long after they are unplugged from the wall. If you're unsure of what you're doing, they can give you a nasty surprise. Your electrician buddy should be able to get things straightened out pretty easily.

And Brent is right, that model has a run capacitor and a start capacitor. I had a look at eReplacementParts and not only were they out of stock, they were about as overpriced as the $600 motor. :rolleyes: You should be able to find another supplier. Capacitors are pretty common, and they're a lot like light bulbs. Different sizes and power capacities, but still pretty interchangeable brand-wise.

When i get back i can get the numbers off mine. It was an easy fix.

But i keep the dc right next to the door now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

thanx for the link chuck, Ill read the owners manual and see which capacitor it is.
My son was here tonight.
He looked at it, and said the capacitor is definately blown, explained to me mother boards on computers have smaller ones, but when they blow, they leak all over(I also think he said not solid state)
He said its straight foward enough, he can change it, but before I order anything, I just want the electrician to tell me for sure the motor is fine. He said he can bypass the switch and get the motor on.

the start capacitor(I know this, because it says it on the capacitor) is fine, so it must be the run one.

thanx everyone for the quick responses, helped me see it wasnt a major problem as I first thought.

If I cant find out what size it is, Ill contact delta after I know the motor is ok.

Last edited:
I recently charged out a start cap on my DC. About $10 at Grainger but, I couldn't get the shape and size I needed for it to fit. Ended up paying $24 but, $8 of that was shipping.

Good deal. Since we've pretty much validated its the Cap that's bad I'd bet a dozen donuts the motor is fine and dandy. You should be up and running again in no time.

At least the capacitor didn't go with a BANG. Some of the bigger ones like that can fail pretty dramatically. With the cover on it wouldn't really have been dangerous, but a loud noise like a gunshot isn't really welcome at my house when I'm working with power tools!!

I had to search around some for a code of conduct friendly video (many of the juvenile delinquents now doing these sorts of things have potty mouths :rolleyes:), but I used to do something not unlike this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HvER-tssIs
when I was younger and umm, well I suppose had more free time on my hands :D Mostly small ones like that salvaged from computers (as your son noted motherboards are a good.. source ..). A couple times we got some bigger ones... which is why I quit, to much excitement is sometimes overly exciting if you know what I mean.

Note: I DO NOT recommend intentionally overloading them off at home (having done it.. I can say this) it can be dangerous (they can spray acid and/or other toxic/caustic substances around and the flying pieces are a hazard as well) and its a waste, you could instead use them to do something useful.. Like make a rail gun
http://www.princeton.edu/~romalis/PHYS210/railgun/railgun.html

Yes its an absolute miracle I survived to adult hood. If I sometimes sound like a nervous nelly its because I've done a lot of stupid things and somehow survived so generally have a decent idea of how things can go wrong. I'd rather see everyone safe based on my previous mistakes than having to make their own :D