hard maple cabinet doors-satin finish

larry merlau

got a call today from a guy who has hard maple cabinets and isnt happy with his doors they dont show the curl or figure very well.. i am assuming they sprayed these with water base and what he is seeing is the plastic look need to look at these but was wondering what the finish experts or cab guys have to say on how to remedy this condition for this guy.. as i see it from here they would need to be stripped then resprayed with a better finish??

Sounds more like he thinks all hard maple has curl and thinks the finish is hiding it:doh: I have yet to see a clear anything that would hide the figure in good wood. Shoot some I would bet you could see through paint.:thumb::rofl::rofl:

If there's any figure there at all (doubtful), you might be able to 'pop' it with some oil, or maybe with some dye. After that, any clear finish would work.

Most HARD maple is generally clear, with not much figure. It's usually the soft maple that has the nice curl or quilting.

well i talked myself out of the job:),, it was hard maple and did have some figure, but not alot. the main problem was lighting.. no direct or in direct lighting to accent the cabs.. open a door and you could see some of it.. so i suggested getting some track lighting installed to accentuate the cabs,, but the cab job was either remake a new cab which would be a different shade after 15 yrs of age on existing cabs.. and the style and problem could be fixed by just raising the cab up and making some accents on each side of the protrusion needed to make room for the new micro wave.. the lady liked the idea and the hubby got the job of raising it.. she asked if i could do it and said i could but why pay me for something he could easily do for alot less and right now.. so when the hubby told me i talked myself out of a job i replied that i dont like taking advantage of others and if i can help them help themselves thats what i would rather do.. after they get the micro wave in, they will have me make them some type of accent pieces to balance out the protrusion so i will get that work and will be at my price:) so it will work out in the end and if i dont make them anything they will refer me to others..