Nova 75mm Long Nose Chuck Jaws - anyone using these ?

Dan Mosley

I was reading on another forum where someone was using these for turning 2x2 stock - some use it for mounting bowls as shown in the picture on the website below - So I was wondering if anyone here is using these and how good they are working - I would think the longer the tenon the more chance it will want to break off but the writer claims this is not so. Just curious .............

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/75mm_longnosed.htm

I use the same ones on my Barracuda, just haven't bought a set for my SN2 yet. I like them for birdhouses, peppermills little fun stuff like that. Works good on some HF's too...but that application is kinda limited.

I have a set and have found limited use for them. Occasionally they will allow me to reverse something and grab it from the top on the outside to finish turn the bottom. I thought they might help me remove more of the waste wood on the bottom of some of the boxes I turn but I did not realize that they do not close up any tighter than my normal 50mm jaws.

Well I don’t have them mainly because of what Mike S. said. I think they are really named wrong, they should be 50mm long nose. The 75mm refers to the length of the jaws not the outside or inside measurement.

You should also note the 45mm spigot jaws are measured by the inside, not the outside. So they also are almost the same as your 50mm.

I am a Nova lover and yet do not understand why anyone would need to mount a bowl as shown in the picture. Can someone enlighten me? I have never seen a bowl turned inside first. If it is green the inside will warp as much as the outside.

I assume by birdhouse it is full size birdhouses and not Christmas birdhouses.

Nova makes a good product and I doubt if they will break. I don’t think the tenon length affects how it will shear…maybe how it can be leveraged from the chuck. All I have seen the wood shears along the grain line. That is why I use a recess. At 50mm with 1” surrounding there is three times the amount of wood to be broken off with a recess compared to a tenon.

If I were to go with a spigot jaw I would go with the 35mm. Here is a chart of jaws and sizes …. Pretty enlightening.
https://www.teknatool.com/products/...nloads/Min-Max Ranges Jaw Table (mm)Sep06.pdf

I do have seven sets of jaws. Guess I am a jaw hoarder. Maybe I can get on TV?:D

I have 2 SN chucks - one with super (Jumbo or whatever) nova chuck jaws and the other with smaller spigot jaws (forgot the measurement) - In any case I do not turn any bowl the way they show in the picture and doubt I would ever want to - with the 2 I have I can do everything I want to do so I guess I just do not see the need for them..................thanks

I have a set and I use them all the time for reversing a bowl. I do use them just like the picture. When I ruff turn a bowl I leave a recess on both sides of the bowl to return it later when it dries. I true up the bottom recess then true up the inside recess. I them finish up the bottom and outside of the bowl, holding the bowl from the inside. It works for me.

Dan Jechura