Last time I try this!

Jim Burr

30.06 Bullet from CSUSA, which is not all that unusual. The barrel is Montana rasberry soapstone. As soon as I pressed the cap...fracture...as soon as I pressed the tranny...fractures. Now I'm stuck with having to glue, sand and polish with the clip/cap in place. It brought a good price, but not that good!!! Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• stone1.jpg
    stone1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 64
Wait till you see what happens when you accidentally drop it on a concrete floor! Seems like soapstone would be kinda fragile as a pen barrel....but it sure looks purty.

Looks good, but I think you may have inadvertently answered the question about why one doesn't see a lot of soapstone pens, huh? :D

Love the look, but I think the people above are correct. I've made soap stone pens and they always fracture where you press the parts in. You just have to think it adds character or forget using it.

Have any of you ever tried loosening the fit of the pressed parts, say by filing the inside of the tube ends or something? Just a thought, but it seems that you might be able to loosen it up enough so that it was less prone to cracking… and then secure the looser parts with a bit of glue.

--dave

That was a thought Dave, especially for the cap. On this model, the tranny extends an inch into the barrel so it wasn't practical. On a good note...I used my Ci1 clone and it was a joy to use! 8 pens this week and I used it for all of them. Whatever form you choose, it's a great tool!