Bandsaw Accessories

Al one other accessory that you may want to line up in preperation for your opening tomorrow is some solvent to remove the goo that the table of machines is usually covered in. Then get some paste wax or boeshield spray and apply it to your table to keep it from rusting and to have it easy to have wood glide across. The boeshield stuff is amazing if you aint used it before give it a try.

Yep the cosmoline can be a bear to get off. I use dilute simply green mostly since its readily available locally... There are undoubtedly things that work better, but its cheap and easy to get.

Yep the cosmoline can be a bear to get off. I use dilute simply green mostly since its readily available locally... There are undoubtedly things that work better, but its cheap and easy to get.

Mineral spirits is my solvent of choice for Cosmoline. :thumb: Then I follow up with Johnson Paste Wax on all the unpainted surfaces.

Mineral spirits is my solvent of choice for Cosmoline. :thumb: Then I follow up with Johnson Paste Wax on all the unpainted surfaces.

Mineral spirits also has the advantage of no water :thumb: I haven't had a problem with that with the simply green .. yet.. but then I'm pretty thorough about cleaning and waxing afterwards so YMMV.

One more trick I like is to get some talc (baby powder works fine) and rub it in when you wax your table tops for the first couple of times. It fills any open pores in the cast iron and helps rub off any residual gunk leaving everything baby cheek smooth.

+1 on mineral spirits, a disposable parts cleaning brush for the nooks & crannies and paper towels for the bulk of the work. Change towels often so you don't redeposit what you just wiped off :). Once you're done taking goo off, put some goo on in the form of paste wax as Vaughn describes. If you are about half way done and start thinking "Boy, what a pain." just look at some of the threads from those of us who have had to clean that goo out of spiral head cutters. Nooks & crannies galore AND sharp edges to boot :D

Thanks Rob, hoping you &yours have a nice Christmas too.

Pictures will be posted as soon as I get it assembled. I may have to droll over it for a week before I can assemble it - Holiday commitments, plus I'm waiting on the Grizzly mabile base to come in.

Last edited: