Plugs for Piggy Banks?

Dave Richards

I'm in need of a few last minute gifts and I was thinking of making some little wooden banks like this:

According to the source the bank is difficult to assemble and must be destroyed to open it. I'm thinking destroying it would be a shame so I started wondering about some sort plug, maybe in brass, that could be fitted in the bottom panel. Any ideas where I might find something like that? If I had to I suppose I could make them out of wood but I'd like metal ones. I only need two of them.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe. I was thinking of something with a threaded ring to mount in the box. I guess I'll have to look in the electrical department and see what I can find. Thanks gentlemen.

Depending on the wood you used (If soft enough), you might be able to use the plugs to actually cut their own threads.

The other option would be create a small hatch in the bottom with a slight rabbet. Make a small piece that fits in the hatch and put a fixed tab on one side, and a swivel tab on the other to hold it closed.

Not sure if all Lowes are the same Dave but they are in the aisle with all the drawers that hold specialty products. You will have to search a bit unless you find someone in the hardware department that can go right to the spot.
They are a compression fit. I just picked some up for salt shakers.
Let me know what diameter you want and I'll pick some up and send them to you if you can't find them at your local store.

My favorite section, too.

Well, I had a little change of plan. I decided to just make these as the puzzle boxes and skip the coin slot and the plug. I scaled them up so so a gift card will just fit diagonally. Here's a photo of one the first one which I made as a proof of concept.

This one was very difficult to get together and once I assembled it, I forgot which was the last piece to go in. It ought to be the easiest to get out but I haven't figured it out, yet. :rolleyes: There are parts for four more in the shop waiting for the finish to dry. The lids for them are maple instead of cherry and I trimmed them so they can be removed with a little effort. They are kind of cool because they go together without a drop of glue and they won't fall apart.

Thanks Brent. Putting the first five sides together isn't bad but you almost need three hands. Getting the last side in on the one in the photo required reliving the edges a bit and then pressing it in with a clamp. It was really tight as it went in but once in, it rattles like the rest of them. (They're all a bit loose.)

Last edited:
Art, yes, that piece and the lighter colored one in the middle are lids. The original design is for it to be identical to the rest of the pieces but to open it, the box would probably be wrecked. Or at least some of them. The photo of the unfinished one is like that. It's supposed to get a coin slot as in my drawing.

I ended up trimming the lids for these boxes with a vey shallow, wide notch on one edge. The notch is visible on the piece on the right as a lighter area. I put a couple of little dabs of silicone on the edge to act as springs to keep the lid from falling out. Actually, I got too much silicone on them and when I attempted to open them this morning, it was all I could do to not break them. I peeled the silicone off and I'll put on new even smaller dabs.

When the lids are in place you have to look very close to see the notches.