2 pens

allen levine

one acrylic princeton, one walnut wallstreet 2

I dont have that much turning supplies, and didnt realize ca glue takes so long to dry(walnut)

After touching the walnut blank, I used some 0000 steel wool, rubbed it down, then reapplied a few more coats.

acrylic, mesh pads with wet paper towel, then some hutppp wax.

I have alot of company coming over saturday night, xmas/hanukah gathering, so I glued up a few ebony blanks for wall streets and will let the kids turn if they want.
figured they cant do any worse then me.
I dont know enough legally blind people to sell my pens too, so Ill just give them all away.

Attachments

• kitchen reface 238 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen reface 238 (Medium).jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 72
I sell all my pens to blind people Allen ;) Those look fine to me. CA should dry in seconds on any wood...unless it's old.

Great looking pens Allen. Yep extended time will take a long time to dry. I do have to agree with Vaughn that ebony is probably one of the hardest woods to turn for pens. Needs a gentle touch when turning or it will blow out.

I purchased the ebony blanks I believe back in the first woodworking show I went to in 2009.
Im glued up a couple of them but Ill save them for me.
Ill go out tomorrow and glue up a few more blanks since I already know my daughter wants a purple acrylic, and my son wants to turn one also.
should be interesting,

Those look great to me..

Maybe you've run into a whole bunch of illegally blind people here... but I wouldn't bet on it (I'm only legally blind once I take the glasses off).

Allen, doesn't take a blind man to see those are EXCELLENT!!!! From what I see and know you know, "ya dun good!!". The first of many, it is very very addictive. Giving them away is very satisfying to say the least.

jeff,, the lathe isnt in the shop anymore, its in my empty fourth bedroom in my house.
My wife wasnt thrilled with the shavings, but its pretty much kept in one area of the room, and Ive turned 4 pens so far.

Ill be done turning by weekends end, as I spent a few hours today driving all over long island but finally got a capicitor should fit my dust collector, and tomorrow night my son will be installing it for me, so I have my fingers crossed it all works.
Ill spend next week making some drawers for my sandpaper supplies.

the 2 macassar ebony pens, went fine. One is gone already, went to an office party as a gift for someone.
My daughter wanted a purple acrylic as a gift for one of her aids.
I had one acrylic purple blank. I cut it in 2, the first blank I didnt drill straight, and the second blank was almost finished, then this happenned.kitchen reface 240 (Medium).jpg
shes going to be dissapointed.

Attachments

• kitchen reface 241 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen reface 241 (Medium).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 13
Them look nice Allen. I love the look of that pen design but as all of mine are gifts they often get the cheap slimline even though it is actually considerably more work.... And that pink blank really shines.