2 pens

garry, I have at least 20 slimline pencil and pen kits.
I purchased them all when I bought the lathe, but seems noone is interested in the slimlines.
eventually, Ill make some.
And I know what you mean about giving as gifts, this is a very expensive undertaking just to hand out as gifts.

Allen I solve that as I make the pen and give it to someone. Often I know who I am making it for but they never do or usually even know I am making one. The last one brought a tear to the lady's eye, it wasn't a slimline. But then I am a little weird I bought our rings all by my self and took them home with me on leave, Proposed to they wife, never occurred to me to take the LOML out and let her pick them out. I did know somewhat the style she liked.

Of course it probably won't last as we have only been married since 1968.

But I know we always try to give our children and grandchildren exactly what they want! And those really stand out.

About kits, I really love the looks of the Flat top American but again it's a bit more work and somewhat more expensive. Doesn't seem to be a big seller(not that I sell) but I think it's a looker. I made one from some Apple from Chuck I got in the swap. Posted pictures earlier.

Your pink Acrylic has really got me interested in trying some of that. Think I have a couple of blanks from the swap....

Thanks for the motivation.

Garry

Last edited:
I actually like the way the acrylics come out.

I finished up a few more pens, another ebony, and 2 more acrylics.
I had 2 more acrylics, but made them last night and they were snatched up real fast.
I promise I wont show any more.

I turned the ebony yesterday and every 20 minutes, applied a coat of ca glue. I put the lathe on the lowest speed and just wiped one way across the pen. I wasnt thrilled with the finish on the 2 wood pens I made previously.
They were smooth, but not the same smooth as the acrylics
So for this ebony, I put on 7 coats of ca glue, then let it dry overnight. I used the pads to polish it up and I got what I wanted. I just think I need to get some glue that sets faster.

Attachments

• 100_1206.jpg
    100_1206.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 16
allen, what grit are you finishing up with? for me, it starts out at 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, 320, 400, 600, 1000, 1200, 1500, then on to the micro mesh, from 2000 to 12000, before i even think of putting on a finish. with the right species, you get a glass-like finish.

That last batch looks great! What color are you painting your tubes for the acrylics? If you are comfortable with skew work, do a final finish cut, light pass with 600 then go to finiish on the woods. If no one is interested in slims...send them to Pens For Soldiers...those guys and gals love 'em!! I missed my goal of 50 this year by 5, so January it's gonna be a 3 day push to get another 50.

no way jon, this little side hobby is quite expensive, especially if Im only making them for gifts.

Each of these pens cost me approx 12-19 dollars with kit and blanks.

I could be using that money for alot of bf of cherry.

I made 2 of these day before yesterday. I think its called black titanium, had my wife give one to the principal of the school where she works, but I had to keep this one, I just liked it too much.

I love those acrylics.

Attachments

• 100_1209 (Medium).jpg
    100_1209 (Medium).jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I haven't probably made a huge profit, but have had some sales come out of nowhere at times. Gave some Bethlehem Olive wood pens to visiting/working church people that helped build our gym on our church/school. One day had a man drive up and want 300 of them! I wouldn't take a check, he went to the bank, paid half down, got them done and he paid the remainder. Been building the bolt action cartridge pen lately as it has been a hot seller for $50.00 each. Turned one with the fork and spike still on the barrel, told my students it was my pen unless someone gave me $100.00 for it. First night out, a man offered, I turned him down, he said it is a standing offer and when I build something better he wants that one. Have filled 15 orders for that type of pen at that price. It is hit and miss, but this one is the rage with hunters/outdoorspeople both with antler and any of the camo's offered. Plus a one barreled pen it is so easy to put together it is amazing. Those free pens will eventually come around as buyers, wait and see. Quite honestly though, it is therapy for me. Instant gratification, it is a time that I feel I am actually making progress.