Phase II : The night stands

Alan Bienlein

Well we just finalized the design for the night stands. Very similar in design just scaled down. There will be 2 drawers in each one but will only have one drawer front attached to the bottom drawer. Of course that's still subject to change but that's what the boss wants and she gets what she wants.

If someone could refresh my memory on down loading a sketchup file I would appreciate it.
night stand.png1.jpgnight stand.jpg

And the pulls that are going on it. They are actually a bit darker than what the picture shows. Couldn't figure out how to import it into sketchup.:doh:
P8165-LP-500.jpg

Alan i went back to look at the bed. I would like to see bed and stand in same pic.

Just my 5cents from the peanut gallery but i think its too plain by comparison to the bed. I dunno i would like to see the curve in the bed picked up in say a door front on the stand or something.
I know its got the tops on the legs and the wood matching and legs but the bed headboard has a signature design shape that i dont see transfered through to the side stands. Dunno i aint a designer, not musically inclined, and certainly not an artist. :) So take this with less than a pinch of salt. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Alan i went back to look at the bed. I would like to see bed and stand in same pic.

Just my 5cents from the peanut gallery but i think its too plain by comparison to the bed. I dunno i would like to see the curve in the bed picked up in say a door front on the stand or something.
I know its got the tops on the legs and the wood matching and legs but the bed headboard has a signature design shape that i dont see transfered through to the side stands. Dunno i aint a designer, not musically inclined, and certainly not an artist. :) So take this with less than a pinch of salt. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I appreciate the constructive criticism Rob.:thumb:

I have spent the past few weeks trying to think of a way to incorporate it with out it being to busy and detracting from the bed. The scale is just to small to incorporate all those elements.

I also needed to work within the limits Norma set as far as how high she wanted them.

Then I brought Norma and our daughter Stacy back over to the computer to look at it again today and go over some of the proposed changes and they both unanimously said no and to keep it the way it is. You know how it is the customer is always right and she knows what she wants.

Now when I get to the dresser that will be a different story as I'll be able to keep most of it to the same scale as the bed and incorporate more of the details from the bed into the dresser but that's phase III!

Well I went out in the shop this weekend and got started on the night stands. Printed out a measured drawing.
005.jpg

I didn't want to wait 2 weeks to get to Clarke's to get some 10/4 walnut for the legs so I picked thru the scraps I had from the bed and resawed it to make the legs. I just need to veneer where I notched the legs.
001.jpg

I also got all the tenons cut on my panto router. I love that machine!:D
002.jpg003.jpg006.jpg

And I also got all the birds eye panels glued up and the 2 drawer fronts in the vacuum press today.
004.jpg

Tomorrow will be the mortises.

Well I worked on it a little more today. A few pics of it assembled but not glued up yet. Just a test fit.
001.jpg002.jpg

Here are a few of the joinery. All the tenons were cut on the pantorouter and all the mortises on my slot mortiser. For being home made machines they are a dream to use!
003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg
006.jpg007.jpg

Just got a change order today. The top will now look like this.
night stand.jpg

I do need to take a refresher course on how to change the grain orientation.

Well I did get back out in the shop christmas night about 8:30 pm and got the tops glued up and in the vacuum press so I could work on them the next day.

I got the pieces milled and fitted and will cut the notch for the tops to fit around the legs after I get the carcasses glued up.

019.jpg014.jpg

A couple of pictures to show the joinery I used to align the veneered pieces with the solid wood edging.

016.jpg015.jpg

I cut the miters with my sled setup for 45 degree cuts.

020.jpg

Well Larry this is whats left of the walnut that you brought and was supposed to just be enough to build the bed. I think I've done pretty good in utilizing this batch of chocolate!

017.jpg018.jpg

i would say you done excellent alan.. you sure make those mitres look easy.. so how thick is that birdseye veneer you put on the depot ply? you veneered both sides right?

i would say you done excellent alan.. you sure make those mitres look easy.. so how thick is that birdseye veneer you put on the depot ply? you veneered both sides right?

Yes both sides are veneered. The core is 1/2" baltic birch ply I get at McCoys for $26 for a 5' x 5' sheet. The veneer is a wood on wood. The birds eye is 1/32" thick on a 1/32" thick backer.
For the other side I used the same type of wood on wood veneer in ash.

Alan excuse my ignorance but what is the reason for wood on wood veneer? Can the birdseye verneer not just simply be attached to the ply?:dunno: I bought some veneer from Jonathan at Larrys meet up and you got me wondering if i have to do something special first before i can use it. I thought one simply glues it to a substrate like say baltic birch?

Alan excuse my ignorance but what is the reason for wood on wood veneer? Can the birdseye verneer not just simply be attached to the ply?:dunno: I bought some veneer from Jonathan at Larrys meet up and you got me wondering if i have to do something special first before i can use it. I thought one simply glues it to a substrate like say baltic birch?

This is just another type of veneer Rob. The wood backing gives it more stability and due to the extra thickness any unevenness of your substrate is less likely to telegraph thru.

Make sure you use a glue made for veneering. Too many people just use regular old yellow glue. The problem with yellow glue like tight bond is it doesn't harden when it cures. It stays flexible which will allow your veneer to creep or move.

I use tight bond cold press veneer glue and a vacuum press. I also use the cold press veneer glue if I'm doing bent lamination's as there is virtually no spring back when you unclamp it along with only a few hours waiting time in the clamps. Makes for a pretty fast process.

All 4 of the bent lamination's I did for the bed I completed in one afternoon and I had to glue them up one at a time.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask.