Weekend bench Photos

Jeff Horton

It's the weekend again. I got busy yesterday. In front of the computer all day but I got out three reports and one contract for next weeks work. Didn't get to the shop till late and only for a short time.

Take a photo of your bench top sometime this weekend and post it. Mine is finally empty! But that won't last long.

I have six kits for European pens and one for a Jr. Gentleman fountain pen sitting, ready to be turned and made into pens for special orders. The lone kit on the right will be made with a pink synthetic made by a friend in Texas. I very rarely make pens from anything but wood but this is a special request. However, my daughter and son-in-law are visiting from Colorado. He is in the Air Force, stationed at Peterson AFB there. He is to be (re)deployed to maybe Iraq and maybe Qatar this May. So visiting time with them will trump making shavings for, at least, another week. Daughter turned 21 about a week ago, Andrew today. We are having a little party at the house for them tonight. Pens can wait.

Attachments

• bench top.jpg
    bench top.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 72
This weekend .... what's on my bench? hmm ... the entire shop, i think. I can't get to my bench to take a picture of it, unfortunately. I'm hangin' drywall and since the shop's only 8'x23' and I have a full set of machinery, it's been going one sheet at a time ... move a ton of stuff, fix the framing so it lines up, hang a sheet, move a ton, fix framing, hang a sheet ... i have 4 sheets up so far in 7 days (evenings)

It'll be worth it when it's done, tho :)

.... Just finished painting (YELLOW) the shroud for my somewhat NEW and reconditioned bandsaw.

.... Also just finished painting (white) dust collection unit for my newly acquired, used reconditioned bandsaw.

.... Just starting to build a DIRT CLUMP REFINER unit (black).

P1010052b.JPG P1010053b.JPG P1010054b.JPG P1010055b.JPG

:type:

It ain't pretty but it works. Thats why its called a work bench.

I haven't cleared it off from the tail end of the weeks work.

I am in the process of drawing the tool box for underneath this bench.

Attachments

• Bench shot.jpg
    Bench shot.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 55
Sheet of laminate.

Waiting on the glue to dry

Last edited:
Left is the base of a cutting board holder I'm building for my wife, center is my new Triton powered respirator for the shop and tile project...and to the right are some tools for the demolition of our kitchen, powder room and bathroom (x2) tile counter tops. Was quoted $6k +/-1k for the job....so I'm doing myself. We are having granite tops installed.

I started this custom wooden model in October and with snowmobiling this winter, I finally got around to finishing it. It depicts a 7740 Ford tractor with a side mount boom mower knocking down brush beside a gravel road. You can tell that from the culvert, rocks, stumps and brush in the ditch. Overall I think it came out good.

Tractor_Diorama-600x450.jpg

Last edited:
On my bench is a 12/4 by 6" 4' long chunck of butternut a 4/4 by 4" 3' long qsro. I am getting really close to makeing my shot glass display. Waiting for the kids to cut out all the paper to the rough size the glasses( only 44 pieces to cut):rofl: :D . Once thats done I will know how big it needs to be. Can't cut to much as my jointer ands ras blades are out for sharpening. I will take pics in a few when I head down stairs.

I apologize and gracefully bow out of the competition fellow woodworkers. Sorry for the Drive By Gloat as you call it. I figured it would be okay as the case was too big to put on my bench and thus my tablesaw had to do.

Sorry.

As I said, I gracefully bow out, but do thank you guys for your kind words. It certainly took me long enough to make. Lucklily though the woman I made it for loves the model. She lives 3 hours north of me so when she sees it in person, she will really be thrilled. My models look ten times better in real life to be honest with you.

The box that grew into a monster project - the medicine cabinet for my master bath is finally getting to the finishing stage. :D This project is way more than originally planned. When it's complete I'll post it to the project thread I started on it a couple of months ago! :eek:
DSCN0987.JPG DSCN0988.JPG DSCN0986.JPG

Just so no one gets the wrong idea, I was just kidding with Travis. Lots of people post things that are not photos of their bench tops but I still like seeing it and nothing wrong with Drive By gloating Travis ;) :rofl:

The best part of my bench photo is not whats on it, but whats not on it! The cabinets have moved to painting now. Finally off the bench!

bench2.jpg

I finally managed to put together a full set of Russel Jennings Auger bits. I bought a mixed set off EBay and was sorting through them putting together a full set. Also trying to come up with an idea for storing the set in a box of some kind.

I apologize and gracefully bow out of the competition fellow woodworkers. Sorry for the Drive By Gloat as you call it. I figured it would be okay as the case was too big to put on my bench and thus my tablesaw had to do.

Sorry.

As I said, I gracefully bow out, but do thank you guys for your kind words. It certainly took me long enough to make. Lucklily though the woman I made it for loves the model. She lives 3 hours north of me so when she sees it in person, she will really be thrilled. My models look ten times better in real life to be honest with you.
No need to apologize or bow out...a drive-by gloat is worth extra points, I think. :D

Your latest model is indeed very gloatworthy. You do some very nice work. :thumb:

Oh yeah, my bench still looks the same as it has for the past few weekends. It's just being used to store things on...all the real action has been on the lathe lately for me. So here's a slightly different "bench" shot:

In%20the%20Steady%20600.jpg

:p

Working on finishing my bench.. drilling ¾” holes
for stop pegs and bench clamps. Also worked on making
A zero clearance insert for my tablesaw. :wave:

Attachments

• plate2.jpg
    plate2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 42
  • plate1.jpg
    plate1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 41
  • peg1.jpg
    peg1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 20
  • bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 23
  • bench2.jpg
    bench2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
well I finally got around to uploading some of the progress pictures. I haven't had a chance to do some spinny things yet as I have a bit more utility flatwork on the way but I am getting there. The first three picts are of a new base for my tool box. I could have bought a base cabinet on wheels but my wife suggested that I make one so... I am learning not to argue with her too much.:D the next is one of a waterloo slide. I compared it to a KV at one of the borg and cannot tell the difference other than a $7 savings per set. Finally a pict of the workbench (top). The glue up is just over half completed. I have 8 more sticks to add then flatten and skirt it. Still contemplating skirts tho, it should finish up to 3-3.5in thick. Lastly two of the happiest picts... my new clamp racks and new upper cabinets as part of a shop remodel/re-layout/ make room for a new bench. Why is it that small projects that make life a little better are the most rewarding?

Attachments

• Cnv0118.jpg
    Cnv0118.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Cnv0117.jpg
    Cnv0117.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Cnv0116.jpg
    Cnv0116.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Cnv0115.jpg
    Cnv0115.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Cnv0114.jpg
    Cnv0114.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Cnv0106.jpg
    Cnv0106.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Cnv0111.jpg
    Cnv0111.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 30
I'm still chugging away on this weekend project. :eek: Only two months has gone by. :rofl:
I finally got the last four boards cut and smoothed out on the jointer. Once they are glued in place, I'll sand this monster, add the cleats for the shelves, add two coats of Poly and stand her up. I'll get a chance to use my new space helmet. :thumb:
Once it's in it's corner out of my way, I can cut the ply for the shelves and use my table router for the first time to make a bit of trim. Then start all over again to make shelves/cabinets for the corner above it.:doh:

image145.jpg

image152.jpg

DT