Whats your day job?

Came to Japan after in 1972 after five years in USMC. Been here ever since except for four years in US. An independent consultant since 1988 advising North American and EU companies in the Pharma, med device and IVD business in Japan.

No obvious ability in woodworking. First got interested when I visited an arts fair in Christ Church, New Zealand. Still have the bowl I bought. I just love wood, how it feels, smells and looks. It makes me calm to touch it.

Pretty interesting, a really diverse group here. I believe that that adds something to the conversation :thumb:

Quick summary, I took what people seemed to identify as their "primary life job" (whatever they did last/the longest sort of arbitrarily chosen depending on how long the "last" think was done and took some liberties in collapsing some categories - so don't shoot me if I completely misrepresented you :eek: :D).

Total reporting in: 41
Retired: 14 (also counted below in last/primary job group).

Sales 1
Graphics/Design 1
Pharmacy 1
Tool & Die Maker 1
Driver 1
Tech Writer 1
Optomitrist 1
Printing 1
Business Consultant 2
Carpenter/Non specific WWing 2
Equipment/Plant maintenance 2
Engineering (various) 2
Military 2
Account/Project Manager 2
Medical Various 2
Furniture Mnf/Repair/Restore 3
Teacher 4
Manager/Supervisor 5
It/Computers 7

No big surprises. The retired folks and computer guys have enough time to post on woodworking forums and the woodworkers are to busy actually making stuff :p :rofl:

After my most recent reinvention of myself, I am an electrician with the Indiana Dept of Corrections. Yep, I work in a prison everyday. 18 weeks and counting, if it could happen I have seen it, if it is a religion I have seen it. All the prison stories you hear are true, you can't make this kind of stuff up. We have no bars and cells, all dorm style living. If you can think of a crime that could be committed, we have at least one person that committed it staying with us.

As a typical state employee I tend to drink a pot or two of coffee a day :D

After a really long time in the military, I've been a Respiratory Therapist in one capacity or another for a really long time. Currently RT dept manager at a hospital in the north bay and double as the Director of Emergency and Disaster Management. Also the Respiratory Unit Officer for HHS/NDMS/DMAT-CA6. We, at the will of the President, set up disaster hospitals all over the world, Haiti, Katrina, Sandy...anywhere people are leaving in droves. Tried my had at flatwork years ago, but I didn't have the dedication to detail. Turning although always round, has infinite possibilites for fun! I specialize in pens because they are usable, but anything round is fun!