Turned A Bat For My Nephew (With and Oops!)

Jeff Bower

My 9 yr. old nephew asked me to turn him a bat back in Feb. I finally picked up an ash blank last week and got it turned this weekend. It's almost perfect to the regulations for a 32" bat, but a bit thick in a few places by about 1/8". It was whipping around quite a bit and I don't have a steady rest so I called it good. Got it all sanded up, transferred a label I made up and oiled it. Took some pics and it was pointed out to me that I made a spelling error! (that's the oops!) My nephew is as blonde as they come, has pretty light skin and is very fast so we started calling him "White Lightning" Well as you can see, I forgot one of the n's....:doh:...I guess that makes it even more of a one of a kind bat! I will call him "White Lighting" from now on too! :rofl::D

Attachments

• IMG_20121213_182723.jpg
    IMG_20121213_182723.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMAG1849.jpg
    IMAG1849.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20121213_202540.jpg
    IMG_20121213_202540.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20121217_185055.jpg
    IMG_20121217_185055.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMAG1848.jpg
    IMAG1848.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 72
Jeff thats neat i have one on my to do list even have the blank on hand already round. LV has them in the store. Think they rejects from a factory. Mine is maple.

BTW i did not even notice the spelling mistake. I saw the bolts of lightning and read it as you intended without even seeing the characters. :)

You a very cool uncle. None of mine were up to doing anything like this. Hope the kid enjoys and appreciates it.

Jeff thats neat i have one on my to do list even have the blank on hand already round. LV has them in the store. Think they rejects from a factory. Mine is maple.

BTW i did not even notice the spelling mistake. I saw the bolts of lightning and read it as you intended without even seeing the characters. :)

You a very cool uncle. None of mine were up to doing anything like this. Hope the kid enjoys and appreciates it.

Thanks Rob, my BIL was the one who noticed the spelling error. 6 other family members did not at first so I'm not going to worry about it. One of my uncles made thing for me a few times, but my grandpa and dad did all the time. Just keeping the tradition alive.
:thumb:

Eh, In this day and age of online forums and texting, who would ever notice a pselling error?

Nice job!

You mean to tell me your lathe doesn't have spell-check? How primitive! :rolleyes:

Misspelling or not, I'm sure that bat will be treasured. :thumb:

Thanks for all the kind words! My family is really getting a kick out of my spelling and I feel for my nephew who will soon forever be refered to as "White Lighting" :eek:

Very fine. I made one from maple for my grandson several years ago. I made it to some specs I found for a junior bat but it was, and is, too big for him to use. Oh, well.
BTW, that lathe looks like my old one. Fuggit the model number, Reeves drive. Worked just fine.

Forgot to post this bad cell phone pic of my nephew after he opened the bat...he was excited and promised not to use it on his little sister. As we were packing up to go home he ran over and gave me a big hug and said thanks again. Made my Christmas! :)

Attachments

• 521461_4645890358063_437750000_n.jpg
    521461_4645890358063_437750000_n.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 18