Windows 8

I haven't used it yet, but a friend told me he likes it a lot but it will take some getting used to as it's quite different than 7??

No personal experience with it yet, although it's my understanding that it runs well on machines that were designed to run it (like your wife's new laptop) but it can be problematic when upgrading a Windows 7 (or XP) machine to Windows 8.

I am on the fence. :) The thing that people need to be aware of is that there are different versions of it. By that i dont mean similar to previous windows as in home pro etc which btw there are in 8 too but more a case of say u purchase a tablet with windows 8 it is not the same package that runs on a laptop or pc . So while the user interface is the same it does not run your other windows software you would have for say your laptop.

Although i know the hardware type and config is different i was hoping on tablets they were gonna make this possible.

Fine if u just a consumer of content or will use their online facilities such as office but thats it.

Darren if u dont mind me asking which make and model did u spring for.?
Anything specific about it that had you take the leap?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I installed the pro version on a older PC and it installed with no issues. The metro interface does not make much sense and is confusing if you don't have a touch screen. I sorely missed the start button and finally installed a third party program called Start8 which put the start button back.

Darren if u dont mind me asking which make and model did u spring for.?
Anything specific about it that had you take the leap?
I got the Sony SVT13126CXS, which is a 13" touch screen. It Also has an i5 processor, both magnetic and SDD drives, hdmi, usb 2 & 3, and weighs in at about 3.5 lbs. However after we talked last night, she's been having to use reading glasses more and more, so the small screen may not work. Either we'll take it back and trade it (before opening it) or I'll keep it and let her choose her own.

I installed the pro version on a older PC and it installed with no issues. The metro interface does not make much sense and is confusing if you don't have a touch screen. I sorely missed the start button and finally installed a third party program called Start8 which put the start button back.

I suspect that at least I will be doing that as well. I did try the beta version out and absolutely hated it at the time, but didn't have a touch screen either.

Well, I spent two days setting up my wife's new laptop. From the moment I started it I hated Windows 8. First thing it asked me for was her email address, I instead clicked on the create local account. I spent about 2 hours getting used to the new interface and tripping on things that I didn't expect. I had Carbonite on her old laptop, so I went down the road of transferring the data via it's interface. Surprisingly Carbonite did extremely well at putting things where they needed to go, pictures in the pictures folder, docs in docs, etc. I reinstalled iTunes and had to move the library file, and playlist file, but that seems to work fine. We have a copy of Office 2007 and so far it runs fine.

Well, after messing with it for so long it must have charmed me, today I went out and bought myself a new laptop. I also bought mine with the touch screen, it truly makes a difference with the new navigation. I did hesitate to get it over one that flips the screen to use as a tablet. I just honestly haven't found myself using even the tablet I have without having to type something, so having the keyboard available at all times made more sense to me. I did end up buying the Start8 start button app after trying out the other "free" versions. I think I could get used to not having the start button, but the desktop window is the only one with the task bar at the bottom showing what is open and when there are notifications, so found myself there anyway.

One tip that I learnt. It took me a while to figure out how to launch the "Run" utility. Just type "run" when you are in the metro interface. This works with other stuff too.

Nice, that should help Mohammad, like learning new shortcuts to this stuff.

I think the one annoyance I really have with the Metro UI (new main screen) is that you can't see what apps are open all the time. The new apps will do some kind of notification that is displayed temporarily. However, when someone IM's me in in a chat window or a non-windows 8 app is needing a response and I'm in a newer windows 8 app, unless I switch to the desktop I won't see that it's waiting. Whomever comes up with a task bar for the metro bar or some kind of task "tile" that shows these will make a fortune.