Just in the nick of time for christmas

Drew Watson

Just put the finishing touches on the chess set for the kids. Wish that I had taken more pics through the construction but was in a bit of a hurry to get it done. The board and men are maple and black walnut. The rest is all cherry that I salvaged from a job I did years ago. The inside of the box where the drawer goes is the color that they stained the cherry ( yea what a waste of such a beautiful wood) I ended up putting about 4 coats of a semi gloss Watco lacquer that I had on hand. Next time I will use something different. Looking forward to seeing the boys faces when they unwrap this gift. Merry Christmas to every one and all the best in the new year. Oh and for some reason these pictures all came out right side up. ( go figure lol )

DSC_0034.jpgDSC_0043.jpgDSC_0047.jpgDSC_0048.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, but....ah..... isn't the board supposed to be 8 squares by 8 squares..... not nine....? :eek:
.... Made you look! :D

That is really a super job, love your chessmen too, very nice, I hope the boys have many wonderful battles on that board! :thumb:

Yea ok Stu, No ya didn't . good try though. :D Merry Christmas to everyone. Thanks for all the great comments. it was a fun project looking forward to making another but this time having a little more time to add more detail and maybe some inlay. Oh and on a later note the compartment material is from maple blocks from a kindergarten class from a school in the school district. The teacher thought that the maple was not kid friendly so they threw it out. I intercepted it on the way to the dumpster. ( no comment ) lol

Last edited:
and on a later note the compartment material is from maple blocks from a kindergarten class from a school in the school district. The teacher thought that the maple was not kid friendly so they threw it out. I intercepted it on the way to the dumpster. ( no comment ) lol

comment comment comment!!!! :bang: Good save

Well the chess set was a hit. I had no way of packing it up so I had them close their eyes and I brought it in. Eyes bugged out with smiles a mile wide. ( love to see them happy) They started right in with a game and the oldest lost it was funny at how upset he got, but in the end they were laughing. Can see many a day with them over games on the set.

DSC_0021.jpg DSC_0017.jpg

Last edited: