Pitted metal filler?

Al killian

I pulled one of my pieces out of storage today and the cast table has some really bad pitted real bad. I got it all cleaned up put the pits are bugging me. Is there something I can fill the pits with before I wax the table real good.

:lurk:

My best shot would be to clean it real well (acetone perhaps but don't get it on the paint..) and then carefully use JB Weld to fill them in. Once that's done I'd do my standard treatment of wax+talc + more wax. Will me interested if others have better ideas!

I was thinking along the same lines as Ryan. Thorough cleaning (I think I'd use naphtha) and fill with J-B Weld. I'd probably fill it a bit proud then carefully sand it level with an ROS.

Al,
Any progress yet? Depending on the size of the casting and your experience welding cast iron, you may wind up creating more problems. A 9x9 drill press table is one thing. A 27x20 table saw casting is a harder thing to preheat and cool properly without making the piece brittle in places, warping, or cracking it.
If you go with the JB weld option, you can add a bit of powdered graphite, black pigment, or mortar coloring to get a good color match. Mix it right in when stirring the epoxy. It works well. I've done it a few times, including fixing the arc of shame my old drill press table.
paulh