Stake cutter

Randy Wynn

Hi All, I need some kind of a jig for cutting grade stakes. I have a miter saw but can only get a 45 deg. angle with it. I would like some ideas on how I can make a jig for it. Need stakes :huh:

Not really a jig, but if you run the stake material perpendicular to the fence, all you'd need is a stop block on the miter saw, and the angle set at 5 to 10 degrees off 90. Something like this:

Stake Cutting Jig C.jpg

Cut one side, flip the stake over, and cut the other side. Quick pointy stick.

Did that

Hi Vaughn McMillan, I did that and it will try to snatch it away and throw it out the back :eek:. Having to be so careful takes way too long. I need something positive to hold it against. Something I can clamp onto the miter saw.:doh:

Hi Vaughn McMillan, I did that and it will try to snatch it away and throw it out the back :eek:. Having to be so careful takes way too long. I need something positive to hold it against. Something I can clamp onto the miter saw.:doh:

How about making the stop block in an "L" shape, so part of it runs parallel to the stock you're cutting:

Stake Cutting Jig2 C.jpg

You could also add a zero-clearance fence to prevent things from being shot out the back.

Do you have a band saw? You could freehand the points safely and quickly with that.

Good sharp "Felling" axe and a stump and you are in business, :D I used to help out my uncle, a mining assayer, and we did a lot of stakes that way.

Cheers!

Hi Stuart

Hi Stuart, Thats a good idea if you don't mind working harder than nesessary. I myself, like to work smart not hard. I just can't stand to think of putting points on 35.000 stakes with a hatchet. Don't even sound right.:rofl: Think I'll just go buy the Hudson stake sharpener. Thanks

Hi Stuart, Thats a good idea if you don't mind working harder than nesessary. I myself, like to work smart not hard. I just can't stand to think of putting points on 35.000 stakes with a hatchet. Don't even sound right.:rofl: Think I'll just go buy the Hudson stake sharpener. Thanks

Well heck Randy, NOW you tell us it's 35,000 stakes :eek: :D

I guess one guys definition of "A lot" and another guy's can be quite different. :rofl:

Once the stakes were cut to length, I'd do about about 100 in less than 10 mintues, but that was about the max we would do at any one time, 35,000, yeah, buy a machine, or better yet, can you not buy them pre-cut and bundled?

Good luck :wave:

stack-em up and gang cut `em on your mill.....build the jig so you can flop `em over while still stacked and cut the other side...better to cut 25 at a time as one-sies......tod

Great Idea

Hi tod evans, Thats about the best idea yet. Gotta be the fastest yet. I want the stake cutter from Hudson, but they want way too much for them. Thats because they have the market pretty well cornered as far as the cutting heads go, or as best as I can tell anyway :eek: . If I could get the cutting head I could make the rest. Thanks for all your input folks.

Well heck Randy, NOW you tell us it's 35,000 stakes :eek: :D

I guess one guys definition of "A lot" and another guy's can be quite different. :rofl:

Once the stakes were cut to length, I'd do about about 100 in less than 10 mintues, but that was about the max we would do at any one time, 35,000, yeah, buy a machine, or better yet, can you not buy them pre-cut and bundled?

Good luck :wave:

Surveyors have a source for pre-cut and bundled stakes.

What you need is a zero clearance back fence and do as Vaughn discribes. I have a Sacrifice fence and jig built ina L that bolts to the fence and bed, adjust the drop of the saw to stop short of cutting the base in two. the zero clearance will prevent any kickout.

Randy,

I think you're seriously going to do this yourself, the best bet is a sled of sorts to gang cut a stack at a time. A sled with a length stop would be the quickest and easiest, just drop a stack in and butt them to the stop. Set it up to cut one side, then flip them over and cut the other.

You might want to look at the math though before you undertake this endeavor, you're looking at a LOT of time...

Assuming your stakes are 1/2" thick, you could cut say 20 at a time (10" thick") on the BS in oh, say 30 seconds a batch.

1750 batches
X 30 seconds = 52,500 seconds
/ 60 seconds in a minute = 875 minutes
/ 60 minutes in a hour = 14. 58 hrs

IF you don't have a BS, then a TS would more than triple your time as you could only cut say 6 at a time assuming 6 stakes stacked 3" thick.

This might be a case were buying them would be a better option when you consider your time to prep the material, cut the bevels and a blade or two for the BS.

Mike

mike, i`m not sure of the capicity of randys band mill? but i`m betting 50 at a pop isn`t pushing the limit at 25 inches...

Heres the deal

Hi All, Thanks for your ideas and help. Heres the deal, I know several contractors that use stakes for thier form work. These stakes would be 2X2X2 The first guy came to me asking about the steaks, because they are paying $3.65 for a bundle of 6 stakes. (Note: they are Not grade stakes.) Then he got with some of his friends (other Contractors) That say they would buy them as well if I was cheaper than HD & Lowes. Well I can cut the stakes very EZ, it's just getting the point on them that is eating all of my time. The points need to be uniform and the stakes should look like the stakes that you buy from the store. I think the best idea is to gang cut them on my mill untill I can get the stake sharpener. I can cut 1000 pointless stakes per hour with the mill, I just need a way to put good points on them.
Thanks and Keep the good ideas comming.:thumb:

Oops, didn't catch the mill part, by bad:D I think the stake cutter is the way to go if this is going to be something you do on a regular basis.

Although a jig of some sort for the mill would be fairly simple to construct. I'm envisioning something along the lines of a sloped bed attached to the mill rails. Cut one side, flip them and cut the other side Some sort of clamp to keep them solid while cutting. With a bit of thought you could make a stair step arrangement and do a bundle at a time. Figure if you could do say 12 wide by 20 deep you could do 240 at a wack. That would sure increase the speed.

Mike

I GOT IT

Hi all, I got my jig set up now, and can cut 78 stakes an hour now. I would post a pic or two but Im afraid that would break the rules here so I wont do that. posted a link for wood for sale and was told that was a commerical add and it was removed. Im about as much a commerical operation, as I am a midget brain surgen, but I don't moderate this site either. Anyway just thought I would let you all know I got it done. thanks to those who helped. :wave:

Randy, the pics would be fine, and we're soon going to have a place where guys can post recurring items for sale like lumber. ;)

randy, pics are great........and the administrative staff has been frantically working on a place for small businesses and commercial folks to advertise their stuff......please don`t take offence as none was intended:eek: ......tod