Simple storage cabinet for my daughter from reclaimed wood

Alan Bienlein

Well one project at a time isn't enough for me right now. I was asked to build a simple cabinet for my daughters room to house the u-verse receiver along with her video game boxes.

I dug thru my stash up top that I've been saving for something like this and picked a few boards out.

002.jpg001.jpg

I also went thru my veneer stash and found a couple sheets to use for the top, the fixed open shelf and the back.

007.jpg

These will be the panels for the doors and the sides of the cabinet. I sure do love my helical head for my planer!

003.jpg

This is the material for the stiles and rails of the doors.

004.jpg

The material for the stiles and rails of the end panels.

005.jpg

And the stiles and rails for the frame for the cabinet front.

006.jpg

I think I'll need to sketch something up real quick before I forget what I have in mind!:doh:

Last edited:
Oh boy you got some nice stuff in your stash.:thumb: Looking forward to seeing how this one works out. What are those different woods Alan?

I think it's fir Rob. I showed it to Larry when he was here. Not sure if he remembers or has a thought on it.

I saved it from going to the dump from a remodel I was working on. The owner had me store them for about two years and then said to throw them away!:doh:

oh i remeber alan and when the members showed up here in the fall i had them stashed outa sight:) i am just trying to get things caught up on my to do list so i can start the me list.. and i agree on fir or hemlock on the straight grained stuff but i have never seen crotch in fir or hemlock before?

What a stash! Geeez, I have old 2X's & some old, leftover plywood & paticle board. Guess I'll have to make a dog house. Come to think of it, I don't have a dog. What's a guy to do? LOL

Nice project! I'm betting your daughter will cheish it & it'll be an heirloom!

I'm always impressed with the talent & equipment you guys have & your willingness to help others.

Well I was going to go extremely simple and use pocket screws but since I'm getting the hang of my pantorouter I did mortise and tenon.

Here is a shot of the mortise cut with it. This time it's a 1/4" mortise 1-1/8" deep.
005.jpg

To cut it I used a 1/4" bit and used the center slot on my template.
010.jpg011.jpg

And a shot of the tenon. It's 1" long.
006.jpg

The setup for this requires a 3/4" bit and it is guided on the outside of the same template by a 1" diameter guide bearing.
012.jpg013.jpg

I made up a set of templates that will let me cut either 1/4" or 1/2" mortise and tenons from 1-1/2" wide to 4" in 1/2" increments.
014.jpg

All of the material I'm using for this came out of thicker stock. Since watching Alex Snodgrass video on band saw setup I've had no problem cutting what I wanted on the bad saw.

All this material came from 1-5/8" thick stock I needed to cut in half and be able to run both sides thru my planer but still end up with 3/4" thick pieces.
008.jpg 009.jpg

I used my lock miter bit for the corners.
003.jpg

And I made a jig so once I rough cut the foot detail I could run it on the router table to make them all the same with minimal effort.
007.jpg004.jpg

And a couple of shots with everything dry fit together. I still need to cut the grooves for the panels.
001.jpg002.jpg

Well I was playing around in the shop a little today and got the panels sized, the doors cut along with a few other things today.

Everything is still a dry fit till I get everything machined sanded and a coat of finish on the panels.
008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg011.jpg

and to think it is from the scrap bin:) sweeet alan now get out there and get some finish on it to really pop that crotch figure.. and make me want to get mine together:)

Playing with some finishes today on some scrap from the panels. Need to get this figured out so I can proceed with assembly.

The first pic has 2 different oil finishes on it. The top is natural and the bottom is golden oak. The other two has both finishes on them divided at the dark vertical grain and one has the flash and one doesn't.
003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg

Very tough choice on the finish. I personally like the bottom half of the first panel but then i also like the 2nd and 3rd so who knows.:dunno: Gonna be a beauty any which way. I think given the wood is light keep finish lighter too.

Well I was going to go extremely simple and use pocket screws but since I'm getting the hang of my pantorouter I did mortise and tenon.

Here is a shot of the mortise cut with it. This time it's a 1/4" mortise 1-1/8" deep.
View attachment 72760

To cut it I used a 1/4" bit and used the center slot on my template.
View attachment 72762View attachment 72763

And a shot of the tenon. It's 1" long.
View attachment 72761

The setup for this requires a 3/4" bit and it is guided on the outside of the same template by a 1" diameter guide bearing.
View attachment 72764View attachment 72765

I made up a set of templates that will let me cut either 1/4" or 1/2" mortise and tenons from 1-1/2" wide to 4" in 1/2" increments.
View attachment 72766
really like the setup of pantorouter mortise and tenon joint.wow for your line up of template,this is what i did when i made my first pantorouter.