New to me Carving tools

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
My step dad used to work in the pattern shop at the Rock Island Arsenal.

These were the chisels he used there. They were given to him by an old pattern maker who trained him.

And they were given to that guy by the pattern maker that trained him.

They're an old Buck Brothers set, just don't know how old.

But they are still as sharp as the day he left the pattern shop.

FWW-8590.jpg

Last edited:
well one thing for certian is that you shouldnt let anyone other than you have them brent, to many passed me downs in the story to let them go to some tool jockey.. the story value is more than you can get in price. nice and clean and now you need to learn how to carve.. toni, you are being paged in aisle three:)

:thumb: Very nice set of carving chisels. I love how the edges are sharp and shiny but the rest of them have a nice patina. Really shows use and care. Not a whole lot of wear either for their age.

Hi Brent.

I'm not familiar with that brand of carving tools, but they look pretty good from here. Those small bent gouges are rather tricky to sharpen. Should you want some carving/gouge sharpening lessons I can exchange them for lodging ;):p. Plus I could help you with any job you had to do ( not IT related though:()

That would always be welcome! Fortunately I have some sets of carving tools much less dear to me that I can practice on. I'm pathetic when it comes to sharpening.