Blade Cleaning with Lestoil

Great stuff that Lestoil. Thanks for the heads up. Saw it on Amazon, but didn't want to spend the shipping. Found it in a little Hardware store that has some really amazing finds and fortunately it is still alive and doing well after the borg moved into to the small town. Many things like springs, hardware, and lestoil can be found here and not at the borg.

Seems like Simple Green might work. I think that is what I used last time I cleaned a blade, can't remember, been a while ago!

paul they claim that simple green the original one is hard on the carbide teeth or the welds holding them.. they have another type out there that is safer if remember correctly

paul they claim that simple green the original one is hard on the carbide teeth or the welds holding them.. they have another type out there that is safer if remember correctly

Extreme Simple Green is reported to not have the destructive element. In a couple of magazine tests soaking in Simple Green (and other solutions) was a no-no.

Bob had posted this quite a while ago, which is where I got this whole thread from...

I'm not sure what the difference is between pinesol and lestoil. Lestoil is way more concentraged, but they both have that kind of sickly smell of pine.

The woodsmith article says that regular simple green might damage the carbide in the blade, if you soak it long enough.

Now that I've got a blade cleaner container, and lestoil, I'll probably never use anything else, well, at least as long as I can still find lestoil, or my current supply lasts...

I just read an article in a Woodsmith publication that rated saw blade and router bit cleaners. The blades had a pretty hefty build up of resin on the shoulders and gullets.

The results were in order....

1. Lestoil. It took only 5 minutes for 7 oz of Lestoil with no effort to completely clean the blade.
  2. Extreme Simple Green. It took 15 minutes for 16oz. with no effort to clean the blade. (regular simple green attacks the carbide. do not use)
  3. Rockler Cleaner. It took 10 minutes for 4oz. with littel effort to clean the blade
  4. Baking Soda. It took 8 hours for 2oz. with little effort to clean the blade
  5. Goof Off. It took 30 minutes for 3oz. Resin removed from flat surface but gullets didn't get clean.
  6. CMT Blade and Bit Cleaner. It took 30 minutes for 3oz. Resin removed from flat surfaces but gullets wouldn't scrub clean.

They used a synthetic pad to clean the blades followed up with a brass brush if needed.
The Lestoil cleaned the blade in 5 minutes without scrubbing and it can be resued over and over again until it becomes cloudy. They recommend rinsing the blade in water then using a spray on rust inhibitor to prevent any corrosion from the water.

Hope it helps :thumb:

I use Purple Power that I got from Lowe's, I spray it on the blade, turn it over spray the other side, close the spray cap, very lightly brush the blade with a brass brush on both sides, rinse in hot water, and dry with paper towel and I am done in less that four minutes and the blade looks like new. I am sold on it., but that is my mileage, others may vary.