new year challenge-- brent vrs jim

i agree progress or the lack off progress pics are a valuable addition to this thread:) we know that both contenders are good at having excuses for not getting there and if they were to show us there hurdles ahead of time we all can help them over it perhaps..:)

Possible actual progress from Brent:

600px-tumbleweed-on-highway.jpg

[cue the whistling song from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly]

:whistling: :D

Possible actual progress shot from Jim and Glenn:

220px-GMS_Press_2009.jpg

:bonkers: :rofl:

And to think I was actually thinking about showing some 'in process' shots of the project I'm working on right now....

Nope. Not gunna doit...

but it is coming along nicely, and getting quite close to done.

heh... Close to done is a little bit of an overstatement, but I did make something cool today. I'm probably ready to start a post for it.

I need to finish this though before I get back to working on the table.

Progress Report:

I have a pic of the back of Glenn's head while he is sitting in front of my computer. He was giving me ideas (Heck, I'm too old to have Ideas.) about how to get a good flat place on the crotch so I can mount the ten inch face plate to turn the 18 inch bowl on my Delta 46-460 variable speed wood lathe. Of course I was exaggerating here...except for the part about the back of Glenn's head. It really is the back not the front.

I took this pic of Glenn using an expensive camera, state of the art lighting, spent 20 minutes composing for maximum artistic impact, and I cannot find the darn thing!

I would ask you to check with Glenn about that. HOWEVER, you know how kids are---you never know what they will say or when they will say it. But say it, they will.

Enjoy,

JimB

ps I already posted photos of opening the package from Grizzly.

Last edited:
...He was giving me ideas (Heck, I'm too old to have Ideas.) about how to get a good flat place on the crotch so I can mount the ten inch face plate to turn the 18 inch bowl on my Delta 46-460 variable speed wood lathe...

I've turned a number of pierces in that size range, and I think the biggest faceplate I have is 3". I've turned 24" blanks with it. You really don't need to go as big as 10", in my opinion. One of my favorite ways to make a flat spot is with a Forstner bit on the drill press. I'll drill a series of shallow holes until I have a hole big enough for the faceplate. By using the depth stop, you can end up with a flat surface on which to attach the faceplate.

I do want to see pics of that 18" blank mounted on your 12" lathe, though. :D

OK. So here is a lack of progress report complete with pics.

Pic: Back of Glenn's head.
This was the first pic. Glenn was getting started trying to figure how much bowl I could get out of the log. It ended up being a total waste of time because I did not have a clue about turning wood that was not kiln dried. Also I decided (because of your responses to my thread) to reverse my original decision about which part of the log would be the top of the bowl I was going to make.

The flat part is going to be the bottom of the proposed bowl. Glenn drew up a rough SketchUp drawing for me to use to figure size. His was quick and dirty. I drew a more refined model. Then I inserted lines at different "heights." I could see when a line was too long to stay inside of the log at a given altitude. Anyway, it looks like I might make a 11.5 or 12 inch bowl. If the wood gods are in the right mood the bowl will even have some depth in addition to the foot.

The round 12.25 inch disk is a template to try and determine where to cut out the bowl blank.

Glenn came down to help me cut out the bowl blank. However our good intentions vanished in some unplanned emergencies (nothing major, but nothing that could be ignored). Since the crotch weighs 63% as much as I do, the blank won't get cut until Glenn comes down again in a couple weeks. One of the emergencies was I hurt my back moving the crotch. I will see the chiropractor tomorrow.

I am NOT complaining, just stating the facts. Actually I am having a ball with this project. For good fun there is nothing like learning how to do something you have never done before. Everytime I think I have a handle on it another question comes up and I have to find an answer.

Enjoy, There will be more later.

JimB

I could not eliminate the two "Attached Thumbnails" that were placed here in eroor.

Glenn at Comp re Crotch.jpgIMG_1447.jpgIMG_1444.jpgIMG_0947.JPG

Attachments

• Crotch SketchUp Drawing.jpg
    Crotch SketchUp Drawing.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Crotch 1.jpg
    Crotch 1.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Hey Glenn,
Does this help? :rofl::rofl::wave:

View attachment 73437

Oh man! I gotta show this pic to LOML. Actually the hair departure doesn't really bother me but, it is a fun thing to toss out there. I have a blast with the barber when they show you "the back" with a hand mirror. I have a whole slew of one liners that I hit them with in rotation; "thanks for bringing up a painful memory", "Oh, great, now my day is ruined", "what have you done to the back of my head" and so forth.