Allen Levine, for a good time...

Im going tomorrow. A buddy of mine is off and he wants to look at some hand tools, not that he is a big woodworker, but hes curious.
We have to secure a small car, since Im not attempting to park my pickup over there. Working on my wife to give up her nissan tomorrow.
Its about 10 minutes from the site of my old business, so Ill probably visit the old neighborhood and chat with some store owners.

well he texted me at 10:20, and I only get 3 text messages a year, so I figured Id look at it.
seems someone else is ill at his job and hes been asked to come in tomorrow.
Now I have to decide if I want to go alone.

I have to contact the hilton in saratoga springs ny, for the march 23 weekend woodworking show, (that one Im attending, alone or wife will tag along), the hotel didnt honor the discount code for a room for the show, so Ill have to fight with them on the phone in the morning to see whats up with that.

Hope to see someone from here saturday at the saratoga show. (Ill be there for dinner friday night if anyone is around and wants to hit a buffet or other restaurant)

Im hoping to pick up a bunch of pen kits, some bottle stopper kits, and some exotic blanks at discounted prices.(theres always other things, but I want to keep expenses way down this year)

going to start a thread and see if any one is attending this year

Very glad to hear you are going Allen! I will be interested in what both you and your friend think of the event.

Opps, I see my post may now be too late. Well, I do hope you go, I think will enjoy it.

Last edited:
my wife left me the keys to her car and walked to work.
Id hate to dissapoint her and not go now.
Just waiting on my engines to get running so Im motivated enough to go out today and deal with the cold and traffic.

Sounds like a great opportunity. I would go quite a ways to see Gary R. do his thing. He's not one of those flashy guys. Just a solid, experienced woodworker and teacher. I always enjoy watching/listening to him.

Sounds like a great opportunity. I would go quite a ways to see Gary R. do his thing. He's not one of those flashy guys. Just a solid, experienced woodworker and teacher. I always enjoy watching/listening to him.

I once took a weekend class with him at his shop in Portland. I found him to be a funny guy, with a dry sense of humor. And as Glenn said, he is the real thing, as he has been doing this for a long time.

its funny the site says street parking available. what they fail to mention is that parking is available in the next state.
I drove around for over 45 minutes looking for either parking or a parking lot, not thrilled to pay for parking, but I was there already.
I finally gave up, started to head back, and I noticed a small space in front of a commercial building, but if I parked my wifes small nissan in front, Id block a foot of their driveway/overhead door. This is a 100% commercial area.
I got out to see how much I blocked and 2 guys were standing smoking a cig, and asked me how long Id be. I told them no longer than 30 minutes, they said, dont worry about it, just be back before 2 when a truck was do in. I thanked them and went to the show.
I was a little suprised how small the venue was for this event.
2 small rooms.
Lots of tools, lots of people around to ask questions.

As I really havent thought about hand tools lately, I looked around, listened to a couple of pro's explaining things to a whole bunch of yuppies, got a bit impatient , and left.(I wasnt having a great day, and after searching for parking for close to an hour, it sorta ruined the morning for me)

I guess if I was a hand tool person, Id be in tool heaven, as there were tons of tools displayed for trying.

I booked my discounted room today for the saratoga show, and Im sure a few large firms will be there also if I want to try anything.

I like it spread out, with lots of space. I should have went tomorrow when alot of the commercial businesses were closed, so parking would have come easier.

I did visit my old work neighborhood, met up with 2 former employees, and met 3 of my old customers, so it turned out ok afterall.

Last edited:
I was a little suprised how small the venue was for this event.
2 small rooms.
Lots of tools, lots of people around to ask questions.

As I really havent thought about hand tools lately, I looked around, listened to a couple of pro's explaining things to a whole bunch of yuppies, got a bit impatient , and left.(I wasnt having a great day, and after searching for parking for close to an hour, it sorta ruined the morning for me)

I guess if I was a hand tool person, Id be in tool heaven, as there were tons of tools displayed for trying..

LOL. I don't blame you for leaving. I hate crowded conditions like that. I always plan to either arrive when they first open or late in the day, on the last day. By the end of the last day the traffic is real slow and you have time to have meaningful conversations. I would have gone to see Daed Toolworks and MS Bickford. They are east coast guys and don't make it over to the Left side.

toolsforwoodworking is always around for me to go visit if I feel the need to purchase anything. parking is tight there also, but easier, and cant go there between noon and one, as the elevator takes a lunch break that hour, so its 5 floors of stairs, more like 7.5 to 8 flights since its commercial and its high ceilings.