In and Out and Why - UPDATE 01/17/12

One thing I overlooked in posting was how amazing some of the tools the eye surgeon uses are now. If you viewed the brief video I linked showing part of the process, it showed the use of some 25ga forceps to peel back and position the macular tissue. About the smallest thing we use in woodworking is a 23ga pin to tack molding onto a project. Now, imagine an entire tool system that fits a 25ga pattern so it goes through a canula placed in the sclera of the eye for access during surgery. Heck, I do good to hit a nail on the head with a big ole hammer and those guys perform delicate operations inside a human eyeball with tools smaller than a 23ga pin!

Good stuff, here's hoping the good part trend continues!

The surgery admittedly weirds me out a little, I can handle blood and gore no problem but the eye thing is somehow different. loml had lazics and that was one I didn't want to watch :rolleyes:

The bubble must be pretty weird, does it actually magnify, I suppose it would? Hmm, a built solution to reading glasses :D :thumb: (the eye doctor has been "recommending" them to me for a while, so far haven't "needed" them).

Good stuff,... The bubble must be pretty weird, does it actually magnify, I suppose it would? Hmm, a built solution to reading glasses :D :thumb: (the eye doctor has been "recommending" them to me for a while, so far haven't "needed" them).

Yeah, the bubble is kinda weird - a lot weird at times. As it continues to shrink, I see more of the circumference. It magnifies such that if I hold my hand out it appears twice as large with my right eye as with my left. The image is fuzzy, but identifiable. When I place my hand near the end of my nose, the image is clear enough to see the skin cells. My left eye is fine, so I can function fine, even with the image being distorted with my right eye. I close my right eye at times to see some things better.

As far as reading glasses are concerned, I've been using OTC glasses for years and they work just fine. After my cataract surgery, the surgeon said I'd probably still need eyeglasses, but OTC readers would be fine.

Hey, that sounds like some good news! I can't imagine being awake through the surgery. I think I'd flinch or something that would cause problems!

Hey, that sounds like some good news! I can't imagine being awake through the surgery. I think I'd flinch or something that would cause problems!

After being awake during cataract surgery on both eyes, I was ready for whatever on this round! The injection in the eye socket numbs and paralyzes the eye itself, so it doesn't move. The "good" eye is covered so it doesn't get bumped and so you don't see anything with it. Everything is a total blur with the eye they work on, so you aren't aware of anything there. The next step is keeping you awake so your body doesn't move involuntarily during the procedure. The worst part of the procedure for me was a few hours later at home when the "good stuff" wore off, but I had Percocet to get me over that!

me to on the flinching,, glad you doing ok bill.. wont be long and you can get back to making saw dust again.. after you take your trip to eden for a few days:)

Yeah - saw dust - I think I remember that stuff!

LOML has been taking care of the Eden part quite nicely!!! I hate to get well TOO soon! ;)