Saratoga Springs NY woodworking show-march 23,24

allen levine

Im posting early to remind anyone who might be interested in attending the show this year.
Ive been there twice, decent show, plenty of booths, plenty to buy.

wanted to mention, I will be arriving friday night before dinner, and if anyone wants to hang out for dinner with my wife and me, pm me anytime between now and then.

Saturday night is open as well, but my wife wants to hang out at the racino, and shes the driver.

early bumpity bump.
ken, mark, and all you other turners from central ny, albany area, you guys planning on making a pit stop at this show this year. I would like to get a group together to share a meal.

start speaking up withint the next few weeks.

Im going up friday late morning, so if anyone needs a lift and can wait till sunday morning to leave back to the NY area, or even on the way up, Id be glad to pick you up and we can meet for meals.

Im looking to get ahold of 6, 7 8 of us and maybe go out and have dinner, a mini tour de wood for dinner.
friday or saturday night is good for me.
anyone want to hang out and shoot the breeze, please start pming me and we can make arrangements

I wont bump the thread after this

not bumping, but wanted to mention I may be changing plans.
I may go up and leave by mid afternoon saturday, just go to the show at opening saturday.(we should be there by friday evening)
Were thinking of heading up to canada for a few days if the weather cooperates. Its spring recess and my wife is off for 10 days, might as well do something.

The wife and I can make it. It's only about 5 hours from me. We will probably get there Fri PM and leave Sunday Am. I have a daughter who lives in Dorset Vermont. only about an hour from the show so we can mix in a visit with her as well.

for the few I spoke with, sayer, don, ned, ken, bob, Im thinking we can make a small gathering of fww members if most of us show up, maybe drag in a few more before the show, (most are undecided as of now, but they have 8 weeks to decide)friday night seems like the best night, so I say its a local brewery/pub style, or something similar casual, if needed, I volunteer to make reservations that week when we have a better idea who might show up.
Im 99.5 percent sure Im going, as long as Im healthy, and my wife is coming along also, not for the show, mainly to keep me company and well drive up to canada.

Or we can all just hop over to golden corral and eat like its our last meal.

just a mention, I had to change my plans due to my wifes job.
We wont be attempting to get up there friday.
I will be arriving mid to late afternoon saturday and staying for sundays show.

I know some of the people that might be attending the show cant log on here often, so Ill post this up now since its a few weeks away.

saturday after the show, around 5:30, Id meet up with anyone wanting to hit a local place for dinner, we can meet in the lobby of the hotel(saratoga hilton), in front of the sofas on the lower lobby, make it easy. Just pm me if anyone is interested within the next few weeks if you log on.(I will be with my wife).

Hey Allen,

I will be in Saratoga all day Saturday, but don't know what my plans are yet. I live about an hour from there and travel back and forth each day of the show. I do usually hang out after the show and go out for dinner with a group of some sort. I am volunteering all day Sunday at the show. Keep us updated.

As for Sayer's question-this is definitely NOT associated with the Woodworking Shows. This is the largest woodworking show in the Northeast and is put on entirely by volunteers from the Northeastern Woodworkers Association. It's a great show with a huge display of local woodworkers pieces, tons of vendors and lots of lectures and demos that are all included in the entry fee. I may seem biased and I probably am, but I have been to those "other" shows and they are nothing like ours.

For more info got to http://www.nwawoodworkingshow.org/ .

Totally Turning symposium is a separate but concurrent event at the same time and location just in case you might be interested.

no, Im not asking if anyone is coming.
I wanted to mention on the website for the show, there are free classes along with 2 pay classes.
the pay classes are being offered for 65 dollars each.
John Wilson will be making a shaker box or tray.
Garrett Hack will be making a scratchstock(I didnt know what that was until I looked it up)

I believe its a fair price for a 2 or 3 hour class.

Just mentioning it.

IM not a promoter for the show or either of these gentlemen, just sharing info.

Last edited:
As of now I will be there. I will get there on Saturday, attend the show, then hopefully be able to meet a few of you folks. I will not be staying overnight, have a previous commitment on Sunday.

ned? ken? mark?(where are you mark?) all you hudson valley people? central NY state?

and for don.

sayer and me(and my wife) are meeting up saturday after the show is over, figure 5:30 or so, if any of you want or care to join us, just a bite to eat or say hello, please pm me and Ill send you my cell so we can be in touch. Im going to the show on sunday, I wont be up till late afternoon saturday.

after seeing some of the work displayed in the gallery area, I want to sell off all my equipment and give up.
wow, theres some serious talent around here.

I met sayer today.
I have to be truthful, Im a bit jealous of a few things.(not looking to intrude on his privacy)
first, he has a beautiful adorable granddaughter.
second, he has a 900 sq shop,
and third he has so much more hair than me.

good guy, nice to meet a fellow NYer.

I also met don orr and chatted with him for a few minutes. He works(volunteers) up here at the show, seemed everyone here knew him.

heres a shot of me and sayer. I had to zip up my hoodie to hide my belly.didnt hide it that much,

Ill spend most of tomorrow at the show looking for little goodies.

Attachments

• 20130323_160538.jpg
    20130323_160538.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 38