Improving my Dust Collection

Paul Douglass

Took a little break from the organ build to improve my dust collection a little. I am having more reaction to the wood dust as I get older. I have a cheap little belt sander that I use fairly often, it was bought long before dust collection was thought of. I built this little box around so I can hook the shop vac to it. It is a real improvement. While I was at it I made a little rack to hold my rose handled screwdrivers that I made some time ago. They had been rattling around in a cigar box.

Attachments

• IMG_1211.JPG
    IMG_1211.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1213.JPG
    IMG_1213.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 106
those sanders do make alot of dust and there collection idea is no where as good as yours paul,, nice screw driver handles, did you make the metyal driver part as well?

those sanders do make alot of dust and there collection idea is no where as good as yours paul,, nice screw driver handles, did you make the metyal driver part as well?

No, I bought them from Lee Valley once when they were on sale. I love them.

Thanks for the comments on the dust collection, guys. It's a great improvement over just letting the dust fly. I have a cyclone on my shop vacuum and a good filter after market filter so it helps also. Forgot to show it but I have a hinged door on the back side of the "box" that I can open to change the sanding belt. I have an improved HF dust collector for the big stuff.

Been looking at this: http://kpr.craigslist.org/tls/3506797294.html . I don't know if it is big enough to do much good nor if this is a good price. Would appreciate input.

paul you can make a better one than that for less,, take a furnace fan from a scrap furnace and some filters and a switch system and you ready to go.. as for my thoughts on one those filters they help with fumes if you have the charcoal filter and for light dust that should have been sucked prior.. by another form of dust collection..

paul you can make a better one than that for less,, take a furnace fan from a scrap furnace and some filters and a switch system and you ready to go.. as for my thoughts on one those filters they help with fumes if you have the charcoal filter and for light dust that should have been sucked prior.. by another form of dust collection..

Thanks, I'm thinking you just save me some money.

Hi,

Here are some pics of my EXTREMELY sophisticated dust pick up from the stationary belt sander. I am assuming that you will detect that it is a prototype. Unfortunately as a well working device, it has been temporary since August 2012.

Sorry but the pics are not in the order I desired.

Pic 1 is IMG-1193 soon to be renamed Belt Horiz c opening into green box. All of the belt sander dust is drawn into the "green box." Note pic names in their lower right corner when enlarged.

Pic 2 is 1195 soon to be renamed Shows Bev end n DC Exit. The end of the box that picks up the sawdust had to be beveled so the 4 inch duct had room behind the 12 in. Disk Sander.
If you notice any "open" or "closed" signs; they are to tell me the current status of the gate for that piece of equipment.

The construction pic is just to show the beveled end to get the dc connection so 4" duct can be attached without interference from the disc sander. The round hole is to allow access to the sander switch. I did use a file to bevel the "up wind" side of the rectangular opening. When the sander is used in the vertical position the dust just goes right down into the green box---the proto is not used.

Pic 3 DC Belt Sander Proto 1. Proto meaning prototype. It shows how the dust is sucked into the "Proto" or carboard box which is sitting on top of the box that picks up the sawdust. (The sound you hear is all of my English teachers turning over in their graves.) At this time I just clamp the proto on the sanding belt table while sanding in Horizontal Mode.

Pic 4 DC Belt Sander 1 shows the box clamped to the sander table.

The right pic #5, shows the "green" box under construction. The 45* bevel on the end of the box is to allow for 4" DC connection without 12" sander interference. The round hole allows access to the power switch. (Mine stays on. You can see where I mounted a switch on the corner leg of the table for easy use.)

When the belt is vertical, the proto is removed. The dust goes down with the belt and is sucked into the green box and hence to the 4" DC duct. Both the horiz and vert modes work very well to remove the dust.

This just reinforces what Paul did. It works.

Enjoy,

JimB

Attachments

• IMG_1193.jpg
    IMG_1193.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 42
  • DC B sander 1.jpg
    DC B sander 1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 41
  • DC Belt sander Proto  1.jpg
    DC Belt sander Proto 1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 39