20 degrees in the shop

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
But things need doing. Oh well, I guess I'll fire up the kerosene heater and see how long it takes to get to a temp where I can actually do something.

I'd be quite happy to get it up to the mid 40's

Lightweight. :rolleyes: When I was your age, we worked in the shop at 10 degrees. In shorts and a t-shirt. And we LIKED it. :whistling:

It's been pretty nippy here in Albuquerque this past week, too. Pretty similar to what you guys are seeing at your place, I think.

Mid 30's now. I can spend upwards of 15 minutes there before I have to come in to warm up!

That's not bad actually. It's 23 degrees outside, so it is making a difference.

Mid 30's now. I can spend upwards of 15 minutes there before I have to come in to warm up!

That's not bad actually. It's 23 degrees outside, so it is making a difference.
Too cool! Installing heat in the shop was one of the best things I ever did.

Today was the second day in a row that the temp outside was 1 when I got up.

yeah,. what vaughn says, and not only was it 10 degrees, we had old shoes with cardboard stuffed in them, and we had to walk uphill to the shop in 26 inches of snow, and then back uphill to get home again and the snow only piled up higher on the way home.
get out there, stop being a wimp.

my work temp in the garage where my fingers work ok, is around 42-45 degrees F.
with the heaters on a 30 degree day, I can get the shop up to 55-58 degrees.

Experiment - I put a 12" square of 1/4" sheet steel on top of the kerosene heater. Going to use it as a coffee warmer...

I have yet to fire up the wood stove, but usually set the coffee cut on top of it. My wife has a metal tea pot I put some in from time to time and bring it out with me to keep on there. Today it's mid 30's but having the office at 70 to warm back up helps. Mostly finishing up some organizing out here today. Need to get some drawers cut out, but thinking about building the shop cart.

Well i know what you mean about cold Brent. I had to deviate from my planned objective today and work outside on the garage door. Door on this old building moved with the cold and would not close. Could just have made it the Landlords problem but i sooner fix it and be done. Called for quiet a big reno of the door and the brace that was at the bottom. Boy this place has been eaten by termites at some stage.

But working in the cold was not fun at all. After 3 hours at -1 Celcius 30 degrees with wind blowing I decided to pack it in for the day. The cold sure takes it out of one. At least now the door is properly fixed and no snow is gonna blow in there like it was. Simple little bit of maintenance but the owners never did it.

Still trying to get my power plant enclosure complete.:( By the time i get it done it will no longer be needed if i carry on at this rate. Darn. Tomorrow got to drive son back to University so there goes another shop day. Oh well. Step by step.

Experiment - I put a 12" square of 1/4" sheet steel on top of the kerosene heater. Going to use it as a coffee warmer...

Hey Brent is it one of these? If it is be very careful with setting anything on top or having a fan anywhere near trying to move the warm air around. I got carbon monoxide poisoning from one of those because of doing something like that.

Not much fun waking up in the hospital with them pumping oxygen into you.
1c2756b4-e5bf-4e52-8f47-d670bb5241a3_300.jpg

ok, only because I like you guys, Im going to let you all in on a huge secret.
this is huge.

I figured it out a few years back, and Im going to let you guys in on this secret.

to work in a warm shop, you have to work in there the other 9 or 10 months a year. Use these cold days to finish up projects in the home, or spend more time with the kiddies or wifey.

Agreed, it's nice in the basement shop at 65°F :thumb: After working in my garage working on my snowblower a couple days ago when it dropped to 1°F, I realized rather quickly that little things tend to shrivel. :D A good warm soak took care of that!;)

Hey Brent is it one of these? If it is be very careful with setting anything on top or having a fan anywhere near trying to move the warm air around. I got carbon monoxide poisoning from one of those because of doing something like that. Not much fun waking up in the hospital with them pumping oxygen into you.
View attachment 72963

Exactly like that. Fortunately, this is the garage, and it's not very well sealed up at all. No ceiling, open vents to the outside, etc...

It takes a while, but it does manage to get the garage, er, shop up to a somewhat working temp. It's up to the 50's in there now, even though it's still 27 outside.

ok, only because I like you guys, Im going to let you all in on a huge secret.
this is huge.

I figured it out a few years back, and Im going to let you guys in on this secret.

to work in a warm shop, you have to work in there the other 9 or 10 months a year. Use these cold days to finish up projects in the home, or spend more time with the kiddies or wifey.

I wish. With a property this size, It seems like there's always something 'urgent' that needs to be done outdoors... The crummy days are the ones best suited to do this kind of work.

Getting a surprising amount done though...

Exactly like that. Fortunately, this is the garage, and it's not very well sealed up at all. No ceiling, open vents to the outside, etc...

It takes a while, but it does manage to get the garage, er, shop up to a somewhat working temp. It's up to the 50's in there now, even though it's still 27 outside.

Yea that's what I thought when I was working on my car when I lived in Baltimore and it was -2 degrees F. Car wouldn't fit in the garage and so I lowered the garage door till it rested on the trunk.

Just be careful cause you don't realize whats happening till you pass out.

Yea that's what I thought when I was working on my car when I lived in Baltimore and it was -2 degrees F. Car wouldn't fit in the garage and so I lowered the garage door till it rested on the trunk.

Just be careful cause you don't realize whats happening till you pass out.

so the garage was door was partially open and CO still built up enough to knock you out? Wow!

I'll be careful. I've run it a bunch this year and haven't noticed any ill effects yet. Guess I'll do a little more research on it.