20 degrees in the shop

What a nice productive afternoon though. Got it up to the mid 50's and it never got above freezing here today.

I'm good with the mid 40's as my low end of the woodworking spectrum. I would go online and get a CM alarm so you can go about your biz without distraction (or passing out). Much cheaper than the hospital and easier on your body.

I'm good with the mid 40's as my low end of the woodworking spectrum. I would go online and get a CM alarm so you can go about your biz without distraction (or passing out). Much cheaper than the hospital and easier on your body.

Heck, I probably have one laying around somewhere... That's a good idea.

What I've read indicates that the danger usually comes from either a damaged unit, improper fuel, or incorrectly setup. All of the directions I've seen indicate they are generally safe to run if you have at least a window open 1".

Just fired it up. Got a lot to get done today...

Depends on what I'm trying to get done and whether I have the cyclone running (vents outside). I need it to get in the middle 60s minimum so I can do some finishing on the chair I'm rehabbing for the wife. I'm going to go out in a little bit and finish sanding the 8 Irish Setter cutouts I cut the other day. Need to get them stained so they will be ready to finish when I'm able to do the chair. It's 41 outside now, high of 54 expected today. And I have no heat in the shop. Shop usually stays about 8-10 degrees above outside temp. Jim.

Well, I'v been running the heater for a couple of hours.

Found the CO monitor, popped a fresh battery in and put it to work out there. It's about 15 feet from the heater and is registering a big fat "0" for co.

I haven't used this monitor in a while, because we don't have gas, natural or propane, here at our house.

It's got electric baseboards, but we haven't turned them on since we put in that super efficient fireplace 2 years ago. That, coupled with a pellet stove in my office area does a pretty good job of keeping the whole house comfy.

Well, I'v been running the heater for a couple of hours.

Found the CO monitor, popped a fresh battery in and put it to work out there. It's about 15 feet from the heater and is registering a big fat "0" for co.

I haven't used this monitor in a while, because we don't have gas, natural or propane, here at our house.

Better safe than sorry Brent. Just a little side note about the kerosene heater I was using. We were using it for heat in our house with no problems what so ever. The co monitor also stayed at zero but for some reason when I used it that one time in the garage is when I got bit. Only thing I could figure was there might have been enough of an airflow disruption around the heater to cause it not to burn correctly. Never did trust it after that.

Better safe than sorry Brent. Just a little side note about the kerosene heater I was using. We were using it for heat in our house with no problems what so ever. The co monitor also stayed at zero but for some reason when I used it that one time in the garage is when I got bit. Only thing I could figure was there might have been enough of an airflow disruption around the heater to cause it not to burn correctly. Never did trust it after that.

I was wondering about that. Most of what I read indicated it would be improper adjustment, wrong fuel, etc. Not stuff I could have seen you doing...

Hey, Maybe it wasn't the heater and it was running the car's engine instead! :D Just kidding!

I do think having the monitor makes sense out there. Glad you guys prodded me into it. It's not like it was doing any good sitting on the shelf.

Guess my pack rat nature pays off, for once...

And to be sure, I'm glad I've got one of those red metal cans with the foot lid for throwing away my finishing rags and such. Can't be too careful with this stuff....