Pocket Hole Face Frame question?

unless its running down the face from too much squeeze out Ive found its easier to let the glue set up a little to where its gummy then use a sharp chisel to gently cut it off using the flat of the chisle against the workpiece. a wet rag sometimes pushes the glue into the pores of the wood and leaves a bit of a residue. Then onces its dry a lite sanding over the entire face frame usually cleans it up. Acetone works on stubborn glue marks also

This thread has really amazed me. I am so pleased so many i respect and admire as professional woodworkers way above my pay grade have chimed in.

I have never made a pocket hole joint and through the marketing i had been sold on the idea that the joint was an alternative to a glue joint ie with out the mess of glue and all the ease of the clamps etc making it a easy quick put together project ready to go with no glue drying staging etc.

Now you guys chime in and say glue where you can everytime.

Still i have to ask a stupid question..........if one makes a face frame and uses pocket hole method to bring the frame together. Lets just consider a straight forward 4 sided frame simple square.

Each intersection has endgrain butting up against side grain. I ask how strong is that joint? I take it then that the prep of the piece where end grain is meeting the side needs to be done such that the end is first sized before being put together to avoid joint glue starvation. ?

Not trying to overthink this one but really trying hard to make sure i got it correctly.

I ask how strong is that joint?

Strong enough that if you screw up, chances are you'll be remaking the whole frame. Not always, but usually the end grain will pull away some of the face grain.

Besides, now you've got an ugly hole to deal with if something was in the wrong spot anyways.