Name that wood!

Alan Bienlein

Almost sounds like a game show.

My current project is being made from some salvaged wood http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?29257-Simple-storage-cabinet-for-my-daughter-from-reclaimed-woodthat were at one time wainscoting for a dining room in a house I renovated in Houston.

I thought at first maybe they were fir but not so sure anymore. When you cut it the dust is a fine powder. There are no bigger shavings just very very fine powder. The powder also feels moist almost oily and will pack if you squeeze it. To clean it up you need a brush or a brush attachment for the vac as it clings to whatever it touches.

A few shots of the dust.
007.jpg008.jpg

And a few shots of the wood.
001.jpg002.jpg006.jpg
003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg

Some is soft and I mean soft and some are hard. The weight also varies also for similar sized pieces.

It sure does machine very very well.

I have several boards that look like picture 3. I was told it resembles the old long leaf pine. Not sure what it is either. It does have the hard and soft properties you you mention.

i like Cyprus as a possibility but how many crotches have you seen in Cyprus its usually a tall straight tree. and hemlock fir does have a resin in it. but should have a distinct odor

What does it smell like? It resembles sassafrass, but it will have a distinct odor. The sawdust from sassafrass does that and it also has density variations. Just a SWAG

well i am pretty sure its not sassafras as i have some of it here and it doesnt have that odor jim.. so i am just gonna set back and wait for the wizards to work:) and the next time i get close to some cyprus am gonna take a closer look at it:)

not to be a know it all on this but i am positive its not butternut.. have some of that here and its nothing close to that..butternut is almost like balsa wood its so soft and light..next time your at your favorite wood store pick up a piece and you will be surprised:)