One For the New SketchUp Users?

I'm not a SketchUp user...yet, although I've been tempted. I have a sophisticated architectural software (Chief Architect) that I use for home designs, but it lacks the ability to design simple projects that I might want to construct. ShetchUp fills the gap & more. Now that my compass is pointed toward more wood working in the future, this software looks like it would be extremely handy, a time saver, an error avoider, and fun to use. This was a nice tutorial in itself.

I just downloaded the free version of SketchUp 8 and expect to use the online tutorials to get me up to speed.

Thanks for posting!

I don't think I would start a project anymore without running it through sketchup first. It's almost like building the project twice, first in SU, then for real...

Hi Al,

Thank you.

Enjoy getting into SketchUp. For what it worth, SketchUp was originally designed to be used for architectural applications. It has become extremely powerful and I know of a number of architects who are using it to do everything from the initial design concepts to the permitting and construction documentation on high end homes. One of the architects I know used to start in SketchUp and then go to AutoCAD but now he only uses ACAD for opening and cleaning up files that he might get from other sources so he can use them in SketchUp.

I don't think I would start a project anymore without running it through sketchup first. It's almost like building the project twice, first in SU, then for real...

Excellent! If you've done the drawing properly, there'll be no surprises when you get to the shop because you've "been there, done that." ;)

Al there is a real good cd out there that dave made that will be a big help in learning sketchup and can be reviewed if its been awhile since you drew something in sketchup i strongly recommend it..

Mark was a neighbor, friend & golfing partner on our traditional, annual community golf outings. He left a number of years ago (7-10 ?) to go to help start up SketchUp. Previously he was the Operations Manager for AutoDesk.

dave he sold it to google,, i did a quick search on google and used this(Mark Sawyer, sketchup) he now is out of it.

Oh. That Mark Sawyer. I think I met him once at 3D Basecamp but I didn't really know him.

Al, my apologies. The link to the DVD was bad. Here's the correct link and I'll fix up the link in my previous post. And to answer your question, yes. it can be purchased as a DVD.

Dqve; pleqse check your P?s
Zhqt is going on§ The letters I type qre co,ing out crqwy:

What is going on? Letters that I type are coming out crazy. I had to go into Word to type this.

Dave, please check your PMs.